Searching...

Cable unavailable but house next-door has it

Cammyronau

Howdy

We are about to move to a new rental property and I have hit a bit of a snag. We currently have cable with the speed pack. According to the search tool on the optus website cable is not available at the new address but adsl2+ is. Interestingly though if I put in the address for the house next door it says cable is available. Looking at the house next door it already even has cable running into it. 

The house we are moving to is a few years old and is 1 of 2 town houses built on one block. Both have full Street frontage and only share a garage wall. 

From reading this and other forums it seems that the database is a bit out and can be potentially fixed by a technician doing a drive by and checking suitability. 

So with all this in mind I contacted optus by chat and then by phone and ended up stuck on the whole script loop they have to follow. I got told it's not available, it maybe available, it's because of the nbn roll-out,  I can get it checked but it will cost $99 and I can pay someone privately to install a line. 

Can anyone on here please help me out in what I should do? If I have to have adsl then so be it but if a house 10m away can get cable why can't I? 

Thanks 

Cam 

Re: Cable unavailable but house next-door has it

[ Edited ]
Cammyronau

I have just been looking over google maps and playing with the availability tool and i think this is all to do with something wrong in the database.

The street numbering is a little confusing it goes in this order

2A (my place)

1/2a

2/2a

2B

All are independing dwellings with street frontage.

When i go through and check them all in the availability tool it gets a bit strange. 2B, 4 and 6 can have cable. 1/2A and 2/2A can also have cable (2/2A actually has a cable running into it i can see). But it comes up with the option of selecting unit 1 2a and unit 2 2a as well. When you select those it says adsl2+ 

Marcel

Heya! Just going by what you've said, I can confirm that we're only able to provide one connection for town-houses / units. So that means if someone already has a connection - you wouldn't be able to get another cable connection. Having that said, I can ask one of our techs to see if they can arrange drive by and confirm this, please PM me your full address and Name. Thanks. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Cammyronau

Cool. Will send the details through. 

If only one in a group of townhouses/units can get a connection there is still a problem. The street numbering goes

2A (my place)

1/2A

2/2A

2B

According to the online avaibilty tool all of those addresses except 2 and 2A can have cable. Interestingly when you type in 1/2A or 2/2A you get a choice to select unit 1 2A or unit 2 2A instead. If you select those entries is says they can't have cable either.

If only one of the 2's already has cable then why would some of the others still say they can get it.

Here is some pics on the layout of the street and our place with the place next door that has a cable running into it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11163658/Cable%20street%20view%20-%20DI.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11163658/Cable%20hookup%20-%20DI.png

I assume all the 2's are orignally from one division and by looking at the houses 2B is the original. 1/2A and 2/2A we built some time in the late 90's going by the architecture. 6 years ago 2A and 2 were built

Marcel

No worries and thanks for sending in that info. I'll have a chat with our techs and post back next week. Marcel 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
78 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
31 Kudos