Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cable to nbn

I have been an optus customer for 15 years and currently on a cable plan for home phone and internet of $135/m.  Received a letter to say telephone and broadband services will be disconnected on 5 September.  Called to sign up for nbn and told the new nbn plan suitable for us will be only $70/m (good news) but optus will charge a $200 connection fee unless I agree to sign up for a 2 year contract.  I don't want a contract I just want the monthly plan like I have at the moment.  Seems ridiculous that I should be charged a connection fee when I'm already an optus customer.

Any suggestions who I can appeal or complain to?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cable to nbn

The switch to the NBN is a complete change. While you are still dealing with Optus you are essentially moving to a completely new contract. The $200 essentially covers the new setup costs and modems you will be sent. So same as always, you get those for free if you sign up for 24 months, but no one would expect Optus to send you $200 of equipment just so you could leave a month later with them.

Unfortunately Optus have exacerbated this issue by shutting their service down in just 3 months. If you don't like the options then Optus have taken the gamble you can either leave or take the new deal. Can't get fairer than that?

FWIW you have two options:

1) Choose the two options offers M2M (+$200) or 2 year contract (+$0)

2) If on month to month then cancel your service. Pick any one of 200 other ISPs.

Unlike before when only Optus owned the cable to your door, now every ISP has access to it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS FWIW I would not be signing any internet contract for 24 months now with any provider. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cable to nbn

I have to agree with Peter's sage advice.  Use one of the free comparison services on the net to find a provider in your area who does month to month contracts.  Just be aware that with these companies you have to either purchase a modem from them (they usually supplement the price A LITTLE) or buy your own.  If buying your own stick to a known brand like ASUS, TPLink or NETGEAR and get a dual-band "AC" unit which will give you 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless signal.  This explains the difference:

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-shou...

If you would prefer to stick with a company that provides you everything, including a Fetch TV box (on some plans) then sticking with Optus is as good as any.