Searching...

Cable standard speed now 50/2 Mbps, up from 30/2 Mbps (non-NBN)

qwerty101

Optus now offers a maximum standard cable speed of 50/2 Mbps for non-NBN connections, up from 30/2 Mbps.

Could anybody advise if this new standard speed of 50/2 Mbps will filter through to all current connections with a 30/2 Mbps speed, in the same way that Telstra did with their customers when they changed to a standard 50 Mbps download speed earlier this year?

Alternatively, has anybody been able to upgrade their  30/2 Mbps cable speeds to the new 50/2 Mbps without re-contracting or taking out a new MTM plan?

Re: Cable standard speed now 50/2 Mbps, up from 30/2 Mbps (non-NBN)

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Telstra definitely gained a lot of good will when it just bumped all its customers up without any fuss or muss. They also just bumped up the upload speed from 2 to 5Mbps again without much fan fare.

Optus continues to be fairly miserly with its network. Possibly because it is in terminal decline and due to be dismantelled in a few years time. As with many Optus services and products the customer is genrally expected to be aware of and request any move to a better situation. 

I don't know what Optus will say but I'd suspect if you have a chat with LIVECHAT and request the bump it will be provided. Optus certainly don't differentiate between NBN and non NBN services with speed tiers anymore.

Peter Gillespie

PS Let us know how it goes

Highlighted

qwerty101

Thanks Peter. You are correct about Telstra, not only was the upgade for downloads from 30 to 50 Mbps 'complimentary' to all, but the uploads did indeed go from 1 to 5 Mbps at the same time.

Have done a livechat with Optus, with the rep advising I would need to sign up to one of the newer plans that comes with the 50/2 as standard. No good for me, I currently pay $59.95 p/m for 30/2, no real reason to now pay $75.00 for 50/2.

They wouldn't/couldn't comment on if the upgrade would be applied to all current plans, they were just trying to push an upgrade. I take therefore that the new speeds won't be applied to current plans. 

petergdownload

Bummer Smiley Sad

Well, I guess its Optus choice to make. You will need to sign a new (more expensive) contract some time in the next 12-18 months or so (if you you take up the NBN). But that's for another day.

You might like to try LIVECHAT again - you can often get a better answer with a different person.

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

@qwerty101, I'm unsure as to whether the plan was to bump all existing Optus Cable customers to 50/2 (regardless of the age of their plan).

I've been unable to find any specific communication on the topic.

I'm happy to raise this one with product and find a definite answer. In the meantime, can you send us a private message?

I need your full name, DOB and account number.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses to private messages will be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

qwerty101

Thanks for the reply Dan.

I've sent you a PM with the requested details.

petergdownload

Hey @Dan_C,

You're suffering the same font issue as other mods. (Really Tiny). Someone needs to tweak the software.

Peter Gillespie

Dan_C

Ah, it's still doing it?

I'll go in and fix them up.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses to private messages will be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Kabe

Signed up to the new 50/2mbps plan last week for 24months. Was told it would be activated within 24 hours. That's not correct, after a number of chat connections, it appears that the new higher speed only comes into effect at the start of the new billing period which in my case is on 1st December. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
91 Kudos
75 Kudos
36 Kudos
34 Kudos
29 Kudos