cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor dlan4327
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cable speed very slow during night time

Thought I'd throw in one more Speed Test result at 10:13pm AEST. Just so you can see a comparison of tests from various times. In this case the network, around Ryde, may or may not be congested but there is no other internet usage in the household.

Speed Test

Keeping in mind, the room in the house where the cable modem is situated, still gets fantastic speed tests. The test shown below was done in the front room of the house, where the cable modem is located, at 10:16pm AEST. With the exact same conditions as the above test.

Optus Speed test Modem Room

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Okay, throughly confused now. I'm really throwing myself into this testing process because I'm curious now. So it's 1:54am AEST time. I ran a speed test in the aforementioned bedroom where the speed has been 2Mbps for most of the day. All off a sudden it's back to blistering speeds just like the main living area, with the modem, is constantly at.

Speed Test bedroom

I'm baffled. I thought it was the modem Wi-fi not being able to reach. Now I'm not sure. It can't be bandwidth because I tested it earlier in the day when everybody was out, & it was doubtful many of the local neighbourhood would have been heavily using internet early around mid day. The speed then was 2Mbps. I'm thoroughly bamboozled.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Back to slow speeds. Daytime, 11:30am AEST on a Saturday. Now I was sure that it was the Wi-Fi signal not reaching the bedroom but the one test I ran at a very early/quiet part of the morning (just before 2am) saw me get 29mbps in the same bedroom. So maybe it is just congestion on the Optus network? Anytime other than the early hours of the morning?

Bedroom Test Morning

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Having conducted al these tests, I've come to the conclusion that it is partly about the lack of proximity to the cable modem but possibly more about network congestion. My speed tests in the bedroom at the back of the house seem to hover around 2Mbps but strangely at 2am in the morning, revert back to super quick 29Mbps.

I'm currently on the phone with tech support but their options seems to involve $165 fees to reinstall the modem somewhere else in the house that would involve calling a tech and drilling more holes & rerouting cables out side th ehouse &... No, thank you. The other options was buying a huge amount of coaxial cable and running it through out the hosue to reposition the modem. That sounds rather instrusive and costly. Not meaning to be rude or disrespectful. 

I'm currently waiting for the Fetch team to talk about possibly installing power adaptors but the boradband guy said that powerline adaptors aren't effetcive if there are multiple walls/rooms in in between the modem and the intended device. They are really meant to be nearish each other on the same wall or one wall apart at most.

I may end up buying another router with a much stronger signal & plugging it into the cable modem. That will end up being a $220 or $270 cost depending, based on what I've researched for a strong signal wifi router. So we'll see. Since this issue has all started since we joined Optus I was wondering if there's anything we could receive from you guys in the way of discounts of benefits. When we were on iPrimus wee had a modem of our choosing positioned centrally in the house.

Everything worked much better. I would like to receive a large discount from our bill because ever since we switched to your cable modem only the lounge and the adjoining rooms get good speed.

New Contributor faydee
New Contributor

I also am having this same problem and so are many others. Some customers are not even aware or simply think that internet is just slow during the night. 

I crack speeds of up to 90mbs morning and and afternoon. Around 5 pm onwards I struggle to get anymore than 10mbs. 

So obviously there's nothing wrong my cable modem router. Because it does give me the speeds, however both when I need them. I do most my internet surfing and streaming at night after work like most people do. 

I pay for a service that should be working 100% not depending on how many people were on the internet. That's not my problem. About a month and a half ago I used to get high speeds at anytime of the day. I'm sure the same amount of people were using the internet back then. So conjestion cannot be the problem as this problem is recent. 

We shouldn't be talking about bandwidth or interference from other WiFi networks because that has nothing to do with speeds that we are getting. I have called Optus at least 5 times over this current month, and some say its got to do with our modem ( reset this....plug this, bla bla) makes no difference. Another said that their is maintenance and should be working by the 28th of May. Well yeah not working. 

I am paying for a unstable service...not happy!

RetiredModerator Dan_DS
RetiredModerator

Hi dlan4327, I know we're already chatting by message, but thought I'd comment on this publicly as well to answer anyone who may have the same issue. If the Wi-Fi speed is fine in your main room, but gets slow at the back of the house during the evening, congestion would not be the issue. If all of the house experienced slow speeds that could be the cause, but not if the speeds are fine in the main room.

More likely is that your neighbour goes to bed and either turns their router off, or just stops using the Wi-Fi, which results in there being no interference to your network so the back room speeds increase again. Best way to check that is to use the Netgear Genie program for your modem, this will show what Wi-Fi channels the networks in your area are using so you can select a less used channel. The page for modifying this can be found in the admin settings for the modem. Open your internet browser and log in by entering the address 192.168.0.1 into your address bar. The login details are on a sticker at the back of the modem. Log in and then just select the same tabs as below:

faydee, your issue may be different altogether. Can you please private message me your Optus username and I can check on any network upgrades for you?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Occasional Contributor Alfagt76
Occasional Contributor

Hi I too have experienced slow network speeds in the evenings, from a peak of 90Mb in the mornings to 5Mb or less mid evening. This is with directly connected ethernet and two different windows 7 machines. I rang tech support late in May and they said that there were network bandwidth improvements being done that should be completed by the end of May, now it is the end of June and no noticeable change.. From the look of the speedtest results to the Optus Sydney server it looks like plain network congestion to me. A simple ping goes from 10ms in the morning  to 50ms or more at night. The signals at the modem and s/n are fine. Can we please have a contructive response from Tech Support.

thanks.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Speed.jpg

Here is a speedtest sample taken hourly on my cable service using a directly connected ethernet connection. This covers from the morning of Friday 3/7/2015 to the evening of 7/7/2015. There were no oher significant users of this modem. Every evening between about 18:30 till 23:00 local time the preformance is very poor. Tonight the minimum is 2.94 Mb/s. Would appreciate some comment from Optus please.

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Hi Alfagt76, thanks for posting and providing the report. Generally speaking does appear as though your line may still be impacted by congestion as per the previous advice of the Tech Support team. Without account details we'd be unable to confirm though. I do know we're working on quite a few nodes this month so you could notice improvement quite soon. Understand you were advised this was due to be resolved back in May, unfortunately sometimes work does get pushed back, Tech Support can confirm in regards to your service specifically though. 

Please call the Cable guys on 1300300693. They're available 24/7

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tris.The cable guys advised that this should be "fixed" by the end of July, will wait and see.

At the moment is seems to be gradually getting worse, a speed test just now returned a download speed of 2.58Mbps.

0 Kudos