cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Leo
Occasional Contributor

Cable speed very slow during night time

This happens from several months ago. I'm on $90 entertainment bundle plan with premium speed pack, during daytime the speed is quite normal, around 70-80Mbps, during night time (6:00-11:00pm), speed is very slow around 10Mbps. I phoned tech support several times and was told there's no congestion in my area, the reason of slow speed is just too many users around me.  I knew Optus got many customers in these months cos the discount and benefit on $90 plans, but please do keep a acceptable service or will lost your current customers afterwards. Please resolve it asap. Thank you.

42 Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cable speed very slow during night time

No response?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

speed testThis is the speed test just now. Hope Optus can see it.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

BUMP

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hi Leo, thanks for posting in the Community! If the speeds to fluctuate during peak times it might be worth having another chat to our Tech Support team to confirm if there are any probs in your suburb since you first spoke with them. If you have any fault reference numbers handy we can check this out further for you or alternatively give our tech team a buzz on 131344.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I have already rang up optus tech team. They reset the line and I also did power cycle for my modem. Still doesn't work. 

Here's the speed test result I just did: 

speed test

Look around the forum there's so many threads talking about the speed in peak hours. So please deal with this problem ASAP.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

Hmm, when we had reported this to our Faults crew, were you provided with a fault reference number or had they confirmed the issue is caused by congestion?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor dlan4327
Occasional Contributor

Just thought I'd add to the discussion. I've noticed very strange fluctuations in the Optus cable speeds as well. My initial thought was that it had to do with the cable modem placement. Since Cable installation had to be done at a very specific spot outside the house, the wi-fi modem ended up being placed in the very front corner of the living room.

The tech said the wi-fi signal covered the house in a v pattern. I believed him but when I saw the speed test from the main computer, located in a bedroom on the other side of the house, I thought the wi-fi signal might not reach far enough, it's rough 10m - 12m at most. However since then I've noticed that some odd fluctuations. During the day, I can get speeds of up to 28Mbps in the aforementioned bedroom.

However in the evening I get a rather curious drop in speed as shown below. Roughly 9 or 10 times slower than I get during the day. I'm not too fussed, since the family switched to Optus, I get to sleep much earlier & I've rediscovered reading. Also I think I'll start jogging again, so it's actually had very pleasant results. Just not so much internet wise. 

Speed Test

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Dan_DS
RetiredModerator

Hi dlan4327,

There is a couple of things that could be causing the issue you've described.

There may be congested traffic during peak times in your area, have you spoken to our faults team about the speeds to check if there is any network related cause? They can be reached on 131344, or if you'd prefer you can chat to one of our webchat agents here -> http://yesopt.us/chat2us

Another possibility could be the wifi network itself, if your neighbour switches on their wifi when they get home, and you're both on the same wifi channel, this can cause interference to your home network, and a drop in wifi range/speed. If you're unsure of how to check that, our tech team will also be able to help you with it.

The last possibility (but one that's a lot more common than people would think) is that someone in the house is downloading or streaming at the same time as you are trying to use your internet service. Because you're all sharing the same bandwidth, you may notice your speed drops when someone else is doing something that requires a higher amount of that shared bandwidth

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor dlan4327
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated. I hope I didn't come across as snarky in my comment above as I genuinely don't have an issue with the service, I'm just pointing out a curiosity that I've observed. I took your advice into account & I ran a test just then before I leave for work.

The test was conducted just before 12:30pm AEST. There is no other significant internet usage in the household at this time. I would not consider this a peak time, either, so the network should be relatively free. The main issue being the distance and/or obstacles between this corner of the house and the placement of the cable modem/router. The result is in the image below.

Speed Test

0 Kudos