cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor tonybne43211
New Contributor

Re: Cable speed very slow during night time

I have optus cable broadband internet connection with speed bolt installed (means i should be getting 100Mbps) but i'm only getting 300Kbps – 500Kbps which is quite frustrating. went through TIO because optus was not doing anything to solve this problem and now due to TIO involvement optus is saying we can’t fix the problem but you can choose another provider optus will allow me to break the contract. what if i don’t want to cancel the contract and stay with optus, shouldn't optus be obligated to provide me with the speed that they promise when i signed the contract.  optus is saying that its due to congestion, initially 6 months ago, i was getting great speed i.e. 80Mbps but now that optus have given so many cable connections in my neighborhood, speed issues started so if optus knew that their exchange can’t handle more new connection then why did they do it and why do i have to pay for optus mistakes? 

0 Kudos
New Contributor tonybne43211
New Contributor

I'm in the same situation

I have optus cable broadband internet connection with speed bolt installed (means i should be getting 100Mbps) but i'm only getting 300Kbps – 500Kbps which is quite frustrating. went through TIO because optus was not doing anything to solve this problem and now due to TIO involvement optus is saying we can’t fix the problem but you can choose another provider optus will allow me to break the contract. what if i don’t want to cancel the contract and stay with optus, shouldn't optus be obligated to provide me with the speed that they promise when i signed the contract.  optus is saying that its due to congestion, initially 6 months ago, i was getting great speed i.e. 80Mbps but now that optus have given so many cable connections in my neighborhood, speed issues started so if optus knew that their exchange can’t handle more new connection then why did they do it and why do i have to pay for optus mistakes? 

0 Kudos
Contributor amiga1
Contributor

If your web pages are taking a long time to load (10 seconds) it may be the modem at fault.

Check your download speed... if that's normal (above 20 Mbps) then it's your modem.

:-)

Occasional Contributor xalphabravox
Occasional Contributor

Yeah interesting Smiley Happy as said before i have the optus cg3000v2 cable modem, have only been connected 2/3 months 4021 Kippa-Ring area.

Im a computer engineer just to sum up but when i was with Telstra i had the Netgear c6300, basically the newest version netgear cable modem of what optus haven't bothered to upgrade to as yet Smiley Frustrated 

So basically in saying that @amiga1 would i receive a replacement?

Would certainly make my day! Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Contributor amiga1
Contributor

Optus offered to replace the original multi-port router... but I had no confidence that the replacement wouldn't have a problem... as the forums (Whirlpool is the best place to look) reported problems with all multi-port routers... although it seemed a bit hit and miss? Optus technical support (India) seem to have very few technical skills...so asking them a question like this is pointless. Even our local support people won't admit there's a problem (unless you manage to hit someone with better technical skills).

A lot of people often don't have a good baseline (old working modem) to compare to when they are testing... so they may not be picking up lag as an issue. I suspect many people assume lag is normal. Plus a lot of people mostly use computers wirelessly... so any lag using ethernet may not be picked up? I was unable to establish if there's lag if you use wifi... although the wifi isn't very good... so I gave up testing that entirely.

Optus paid for the replacement (provided a credit). As it only cost $40 for the single port replacement it really wasn't much of an ask (but I'm pleased they were willing to do this). The problem was mostly finding an appropriate modem.. Ended up posting on Gumtree... and found a guy within a few Km who had one. The DPQ 3202's are a very common modem... so there are lots all over the place... but people have a tendency to throw them out or stick them in a cupboard rather than sell them.

Any single port modem should not have the problems of a multi port modem.

The problem seems to be that a single CPU has trouble handling more than one task well. I suspect that a multi-core CPU or one with seperate components to handle each task (costs more) wouldn't have a problem? However Optus is about finding the cheapest device to do a job... and as a result they've created a problem where none previously existed? Better to settle for a slightly dumber device that does work rather than opt for a device that's a bit smarter that results in lots of service calls?

I've wanted to integrate everything (modem/router/voip) into one device for a long time... but every time I test there are problems with integrated devices. Regular lock ups are very common on most integrated devices. I have a friend who is technical support for Sharp and his conclusion is exactly the same as mine.

I suspect that the higher priced integrated devices probably do work pretty well?

A series of standalone devices (modem + router+ voip) working together don't seem to have any problems.

:-)

PS. Got a lot of very poor opinions in most forums... mostly from people who hadn't tested anything and didn't even own the hardware in question. It becomes quite difficult to work out what is correct and what is not due to this kind of inappropriate input. A lot of it comes from people who claim to be technically savvy. A comment from a person who owns the equipment and has tested it beats the opinion of an expert who doesn't own the equipment in question and hasn't tested it.

Occasional Contributor xalphabravox
Occasional Contributor

Yes very true @amiga1,

Might do a bit of research on the Netgear cg3000v2 or even open it up to check the chip/cpu etc.

might be worthwhile but then again there might be a warranty device somewhere, sticker on a screwhole or something im guessing.

But i certainly have the understanding that telstra's new modem kick's but! as long as optus can have a SIP port which im certain netgear can organise something then it would be productive!

I just cant wait untill the hfc cable gets installed in my area soon! (FTTN) but (FTTP) would be great! Thanks Mr T Crabitt!

Highlighted
New Contributor jess123see
New Contributor

Guys,

I was on the '$90 Cable Bundle 24M'. It was supposedly an upgrade from an old cable bundle I had. I was with Optus for more cable internet than a 10 years!! Back in the days, the cable really ran as fast as expected.

But since 2 years ago (early 2016)  after upgrading to a new 2-year contract of so called Premuim Speed via '$90 Cable Bundle 24M', the internet speed has deterioted especially in the early or late evenings. Now it just feels like a fast dial up modem as opposed to anything near cable.

Calls to tech support essentially said to me there is nothing they can do (aside from using ethernet conenction; don't use WIFI, restart routers, etc led to no where). One thing they continously claimed is they are well aware of server/network congestion but there's little they can do except to put notes of slow speed complaints on my file. I think my file has several pages of the same old same old now.

Too bad there's no NBN in my world. What can I do except to go look for else where.

Templetstowe Lower, VIC area.

-Jess

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @jess123see, sorry it's taken so long to get a reply to your post. Can you please send me a PM with your full name, DOB and account number so that I can take a look into this issue for you?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Big-A
New Contributor

Im curious how you got on. I signed up a couple of days ago and discovered the woefull realisation that this is nothing like they promised when i signed up for a 24 month contract. Im getting 2.93 mbps which is 366 kb a second transfer. My previous address i was fortunate to have NBN optic (never an issue in 16 months) however what ive now got is worse than my old ADSL 2. After reading the many many posts it seems a waste of time ringing tech support but it seems you have to go down that path before you go to the TIO.

What I've gattered, in a nutshell, is that there is network congestion during the peak periods at night causing the slow down. However seeings that a large portion of us work full time the only time that we connect is during those times, then shouldn't the advertised connection speed be:    The average connection speed of the average user, when they are using the network. (residential)

Sounds like a mouth full but would be far more accurate.optus speed.jpg

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hmm, let me look into this for you @Big-A. I may need to refer you to tech support on 131344, however I'll give it a go. Does your internet run slow during the evenings or all throughout the day? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors