cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Moderator Tris

Re: Cable speed very slow during night time

Fingers crossed the upgrades do the trick Alfagt76. Keep me updated on how you go 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Alfagt76
Occasional Contributor

Hi, it now seems to be a bit better, but still very time dependent.

The evening dip seems to last for less time, and the slower speeds are now generally around 6Mb/s instead of less than 3Mb/s Interesting that the daytime peak speed is now around 60-65Mb/s when before it regularly reached 90Mb/s and occasionally exceeded 100Mb/s.

I haven't been able to run extended repetitive tests because of other things happening on my internal network including upgrades to Windows 10 which has a habit of downloading and applying updates without warning or any user control.

For day to day use it is now acceptable, out of curiosity I tried streaming a bit of UHD 4k TV content, that isn't practical at peak periods but as so little of 4k TV worth viewing is available this isn't an issue at the moment.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor isabear
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

I am from Towradi, NSW 2518. It had been so serious for these few nights. The internet keeps dropping and is very slow even can't get on to the community to have a post. I did a speedtest and it was terrible.

speedtest

It wasn't like that last week and I didn't see any outage around my area. Hope that can be solved.

Isabel

0 Kudos
Contributor amiga1
Contributor

Sunshine Victoria 3020 is very slow at night for about the last 9 months.

We've been getting 3 Mbps downloads at times... and normally we're at about 100 Mbps

I've complained and Optus say they have prioritised upgrades but that was now months ago.

I've rung back a few times... but they just say they haven't finished the work.

This is annoying... as you're waiting ages for what should have downloaded in seconds.

I think it's also affecting the TV... as some of the recorded programs have missing bits. I suspect it's the poor bandwidth as it only happens sometimes?

It is annoying to pay for fast internet and then get slow internet. 

I've been a customer of cable internet almost since it started 15 years or so ago.

🙂

New Contributor SpongeTort
New Contributor

I'm on the same boat...  very annoyed and disappointed.

- thought it would be a nice idea to sit down as a family and stream a movie, only to have to watch a stuttering show that keeps freezing.

I believed that by getting the NBN pack I would get a better performnace, instead it is so terrible that I may as well be back on dialup.

Here is my speedtest:  2.58Mbps Download and 0.07Mbps Upload

speedtest

During the day I get close to 86Mbps Down and 1.8Mbps Up

I understand that Cable bandwidth is shared, however when overselling the service there should be an acceptable minimum for situations when everyone is online.

As far as calling Tech Support, I tried once and wasted 1 hour power-cycling everything...  eventually the congestion dies down and its fixed. 

I'm at a location where my only option is Optus Cable or 4G broadband (even that is poor)... 

Contributor amiga1
Contributor

We have an Asus AC68u router which fixed the slow down with the modem/router combo Optus provided:

It doesn't require constant rebooting like the Optus modem router combo's.

It also goes through all the walls in the house as it has a proper MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) antenna set-up (3 antennas). All the wifi routers Optus provides are SISO routers (single in single out antenna) and the signal is very poor unless you're sitting very close to the router.

The three antennas used by MIMO provide an overlapping signal so that you don't have any dead spots. The range of MIMO is also much better than a single antenna (SISO) router.

We use a Cisco DPQ3212 single port modem which while basic has 100% up time and can achieve very high download and upload speeds.

Optus was nice enough to pay for the replacement modem which cost $40 second hand as they didn't have any of the single port modems in stock.

A lot of customers must have slow speeds due to similar problems.

We trouble shot the problem by reconnecting the old Surfboard modem (20 Mbit DOCSIS 2.0). It was getting better speeds than the 100 Mbit (DOCSIS 3.0) Netgear 6300 that Optus provided. The speedtest sites were no help with this as the Netgear modem had lag and the Surfboard modem had no lag. They weren't picking up the lag. It also wasn't showing up in ping times... but the computer would sit there and do nothing for a number of seconds when you tried downloading something.. 

Optus were VERY unhelpful with all this. Their solution was to send  out people at $$$ per visit if it wasn't their fault. Given the poor quality of the trouble shooting it seemed doubtful that a technician would correctly diagnose the problem) and we'd be left with a big bill. So don't agree to this unless you're desperate. 

It would help if Optus had more people in technical support who actually knew something about technical support?

The Aussie staff are usually quite reasonable... but the Indian support guys seem to be plucked off the street and don't know much about computers.

When we were installing the set-top box they told me you couldn't run an ethernet cable more than 2 m. 

I stopped arguing and just told them my 10 m cable was 2 m long... which solved the problem. Ethernet can be run 50 or 100 m... so why would 10 m be a problem?

Optus also wanted to sell me EoP (ethernet over power).... even though I have noise suppression on the power lines.

They never even checked with tech support if that would interfere (yes it does).

Optus keeps saying that they will compensate us for the slow down after it's fixed. The implicatin is that this would be a matter of days or weeks... but it's now months!

It's annoying to pay for a service you don't get... so I think it's time to give them another call? In the past they've been fairly quick to fix this kind of thing... but the NBN is a bit of a monolith and may be frustrating efforts to get a quick resolution?

Or perhaps it's Telstra looking after its customers at the expense of Optus?

🙂

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey Guys!

Really sorry about the internet speeds you've been seeing lately during peak times - we are always working on improving our Network and upgrading the capacity where possible. I can't guarantee I'm going to be able to provide an ETR for your specific NODE/exchange but I'm more than happy to have a look and provide any information we have. Please PM (Private Message) me your Optus internet username, DOB and full name so I can check it out 🙂

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Contributor amiga1
Contributor

Hi Hollie,

Yes I would appreciate a bit more info on the slow down issues in my area.

I've PM'd you the info you requested.

🙂

0 Kudos
New Contributor pquinn
New Contributor

The difference between day time speeds and night time speeds is just that, its like day and night. Great during the day, dial up at night.

Only 2 connections on my channel all day and through the night. Last night it took minutes to even get a browers up, got fed up and turned the computer off. 

My wifi signal is strong all around the house, even at my neighbours its at full strength, no one else in the house draining bandwith, its just me.

Optus cable used to be good but its going downhill fast.

Occasional Contributor xalphabravox
Occasional Contributor

Yeah im on Optus cable in the 4021 QLD area, using the cg3000v2 cable modem, getting quite sick of the speeds with my optus cable, for example it will take me 10 seconds to load a standard website and even longer to login to facebook for example.

I pay good money ($115) a month,

Even downloading hangs sometimes, and i do have knowledge that there are 16 download+upload channels for our infastructure here so why am i having these issues optus?

Im formely a telstra customer and never had an issue with cable at all, (1 second to load a page)

with telstra i payed for 100mbps download and 2.4mbps upoad, in which i technically had a download speed of 110mbps and 2.4 mbps up.

Would love to know why when connected with Optus cable i pay for 100 down and receive only 60mbps down and i mbps upload, and surely slower downloading, surfing etc

Can any optus rep answer this?? shouldn't be hapenning considering we have a fiber node down the road...