Searching...

Cable speed in Gladesville NSW

Merr1

Hi I am pulling what remaining hair I have out in frustration with Telstra adsl in Gladesville NSW (Hunters Hill exchange).  I am lucky to get 5mbps atm.  

In desperation I am thinking of flicking over to Optus cable.  ( telstra dont have cabld in my street).

Wondering if anyone out there has an opinipn on this idea?  Good or bad?

Cheers

Merr1

Re: Cable speed in Gladesville NSW

Yeldarb

If you switch over to Optus you might end up bald. Smiley Very Happy How far away from the exchange are you as swapping providers may not help.

Merr1

Thanks for the reply.  I am about <3k from the Humters Hill  exchange.  Recently I have noticed Telstra adsl speeds come off from a consistent 8 to 9 mbps to my now consistent 4 to 5 mbps.  

Frustrating....

Yeldarb

Hmm once you get to 3k adsl really does take a dive and I am assuming you are talking about a 3k is the physical distance not as the crow flies. The speed you are getting sound excellent to me given the distance and providing you are not getting any drop out I would be sticking with it. Even though cable should theoretically be better there is no guarantee that things are going to improve. I would hate to see you take the plunge and be worse off. Maybe you should be having a word with Telstra support to see if you get those speeds up a bit more.

Merr1

Yes, I am doing just that with Telstra.  So, what I am hearing though is Optus cable in Gladesville is not likely to offer a solution for me though?  Is that because of congestion?

Cheers

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

You got it in one my friend. In a perfect world cable should improve your situation however it is not a perfect world when it comes to Optus cable. Smiley Happy

Edit: I should say that many people I know have never had any issues with Optus cable. My opinion is probably somewhat tainted given the hundreds of posts I have answered with frustrated cable users.

Hollie

Hey Merr1,

I think Yeldarb's opinion may be a little tainted but appreciate the input Smiley Happy

In regards to speeds, Cable usually comes with a 30Mb speed pack but you can upgrade to 100Mbps - even if worst case scenario you are impacted by some peak time congestion, your speeds during the day etc are going to be super fast compared to the ADSL connection & we are constantly working on upgrading our Network to alleviate congestion so all hope would not be lost Smiley Happy

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Merr1

Sounds great... so can you share average peak hour speeds for Gladesville area for the last month?   That would be helpful in deciding?

Cheers

Tris

We'd be unable to provide that Merr1. As you can appreciate there's many variables so any indication would be a guess. As Hollie mentioned, our awesome Networks guys are aware of any problems and are always working on improvements where necessary Smiley Wink

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Merr1

Thanks Tris...  so, would you be able to give me the average speed (or min/max) for a suburb at any given point of time?  I guess, in making a decision to connect to Optus Cable and outlaying a wad of cash you'd expect as a consumer to have some sort of idea as to what you're actually gettign for your money.   Your "lucky dip" response isn't cutting the mustard sorry.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
75 Kudos
52 Kudos
41 Kudos
27 Kudos