cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor DarbyOLeary
New Contributor

Cable - slow speeds and dropouts every minute

Hi... recently signed up with Optus for a cable connection, hoping to improve on the diabolical iiNet speeds I was getting.
However I'm getting no joy so far.

If I connect via wifi, I will sometimes get lucky and get speeds of up to 10mbps, which I'm more than happy with. But more often than not, the wifi speed plummets to between 0.10mbps and 0.70mbps, which is completely hopeless for doing, well, anything at all.

Different scenario with an ethernet connection. I have logged speeds this way of up to 40mbps which is brilliant. The catch here is that when I use ethernet, the connection drops out every minute. Yes, literally every single minute. So again, accessing the internet by this means is also pretty useless.

I've tried different devices, changed ethernet cables, rest modems etc and I can only presume there is something intrinsically wrong with either the connection to the property or the modems supplied by Optus. Anyone else experienced similar issues?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
New Contributor DarbyOLeary
New Contributor

Re: Cable - slow speeds and dropouts every minute

After much contact with Optus, including a tech visit to my home, I was told I had no problem. Clearly I imagined all these dropouts.

So I purchased a new D-Link router from Officeworks to replace the piece of crap Optus supplied me (Sagemcom F@ST3864AC) and lo and behold everything now works.

Thanks for nothing Optus...

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Re: Cable - slow speeds and dropouts every minute

Really sorry to hear of your experience @DarbyOLeary. Could you please confirm if a modem replacement was discussed with the faults? Please contact us Here from PC to discuss your modem replacement. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors