cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor paddo42
Occasional Contributor

Cable re-location to back of house

Hi everyone, I have a corner block and the cable runs from the street to the front of the house which is where the modem is.  However all my stuff (fetch, apple tv, ps4 etc) is at the back of the house and wifi is less than ideal (even good mesh wifi etc) so i'd prefer to have the modem there and connect those devices via ethernet. 

So any tips on how to gte Optus (or someone) to run a new cable connection from the street to the back of the hosue?  Anyone done this before?  (NB I've ried getting an ethernet cable run from the modem to the back of the house but won't go).

thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cable re-location to back of house

I believe the cost is $165 to have it relocated

Read here

Try the number on that link to see if you can get an appointment.

Otherwise I'd suggest re-visiting the cat5 cable. There's almost always a way to get the cable from one end of the house. Doesn't have to be covered or anything. You could run a shallow ditch and bury it. Under the house. Through the ceiling. Run it in the gutters. Install Electric Adapters. etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@paddo42,

@petergdownload, has offered some great advice! As far as extending the drop cable to the back of the house is concerned, I don't think it's something we'd do. We can organise to have the socket/outlet moved to the back of the home.

You can check out our standard pricing table here https://www.optus.com.au/content/dam/optus/documents/about-us/.../CablePricing.doc

You're looking at cost of $165.00 to move the outlet. If the request is 'non-standard,' the price will be quoted by a technician on site.

If you have any other questions, send them through Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hello Peter thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately the page you linked to - which I had previously found and read - does not address my query:

- the charge is only referenced in regard to NEW installations - not moving an existing cable connection

- the number is only for REMOVAL of exisitng exiitng cables - not moving an existing cable connection

I thought retntion would be a key priority for Optus?  Rather the focus is on aquisition or removal?

to clarify I need either:

- Connection from the street cable to my house to be moved from the exisitng points, to points about 20m south along the boundary so it connectes to the rear of my house where the devices are (frankly this is were it should have been doen originally but when I switched from telstar to Optus in 2015 the installer re-used an old connection to the property from a previous owner)

- Extend the current cable connection from its existing entry point into the house to the rear of the house (by going over the house - under the house is too crowded I have been told).

Will Optus do this?  If so how do I get them too (I have been on the phone for hours but the ppl I speak to cannot grasp wha I am asking for).  If not, who will?  Telstra?  Happy to switch (back) if I have to.

I have told Optus I am happy to re-sign for 2 yars AND pay an install fee if that is what is takes to get this right but no one is listening.

What do I have to do to get Optus to say 'Yes'?

thanks, Michael.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

hi there, who could do this?  I tried gettign Jim's to run somethign underneat hthe floor but they wouldn;t.  our garden is landscaped not digging any trenches.  happy to go over the roof if nec (2 story) but again who would do it?

the more elegant solution is just to get Optus to run a cable from the street to where it should be but I can;t figure out how to tal kto someone who could arrange this.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@paddo42, what's the distance between the power pole and your preferred connection point? Is the length over 75 meters? I really don't think we move the drop cable. Your best bet is to move the outlet and the cable will be drawn internally to your preferred location.

I can book a technician to come out and move the outlet.

Send us a PM with your account details? I need your full name, DOB and account number.

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @paddo42,

Yes the links are not exact but they should get you into the right area. I assume you rang the removal number? Presumably they can tell you if there's another department for installations?

You don't need to resign for 24 months as the process is pretty seperately defined. Optus either will or won't do the reconnect and they'll either quote $165 or more depending on their technicians survey. Note that the Optus network is due to be dismantled completely in two years so any work you have done now is going to be turned off between now and then.

@Dan_C 's link copied the "..." shortner (Right click and select 'copy link' rather than highlight and copy the text). The full URL is

https://www.optus.com.au/content/dam/optus/documents/about-us/legal/CablePricing.doc

Good luck with the calls and finding someone to put it in motion (you're right that it really shouldn't be this difficult to get a simple request acknowledged, let alone actioned)

Moving or extend the cable yourself shouldn't be too hard? Jims is just a franchise with well meaning capable individuals. But the skill levels vary and not surprised they said no. I'd suggest get an electrician in and run it to the back - they are quite able to run something up to the roof (or perhaps down low around the exterior of the house). 

But if you have any space under your floors then it should be childs play? Thread a string or buy the cable required and run it yourself? It doesn't need anything special just pull it through near the edges under the house?

One other tip is that while not 'professional' you don't need to dig "trenches" to run the cable through the back. Just a shovel pushed vertically once to make a thin cut. Buy 30m of the required cable and just push it into the cut (depth 5-10cm?). Pat it down and two weeks later its invisible again. Get an electrician to connect up the ends where you have them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Eek @petergdownload, thanks for the heads up mate! 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors