cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cable outages

Hi

Since a planned outage on the 7th of March my cable internet and phone also sometimes which runs over cable stops working. This normally happens around 7.30 PM but dropped out this morning at about 6 AM.

I am located in Edithvale in Victoria.

I've called Optus re this a number of times to report the issue.

Thankfully I have a Telstra mobile that I can tether as I work from home.

Does anyone know what the issue and if there is any prospect of this being fixed. My friend has a business in Dromana and he was switched to the NBN which is also unreliable his connecton drops out a few times a day which stops his efpos terminals. Optus sold there cable network to NBN so I am wondering if  this is a NBN network issue.

I can get a wireless connection here but it will be a pain to change email addresses and the loss of the landline phone.

I've been with Optus for over ten years and in the past could count outages on one hand but its hopeless now.

10 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Cable outages

There's a belief by some that given Optus has sold their HFC (Cable) network to NBN they are investing less money into maintaining it but outside of a few anectodotal comments/posts, there's no hard and fast proof of this. 

Since the outage, have you spoken to tech support at all? The outage could have triggered something else that needs to be fixed or it could just be a coincidence. I'd give Optus the chance to sort it out before jumping, especially given as you've said it can pretty inconvenient to switch. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've spoken to Optus many times. I checked out the wireless internet solution and I must be the kiss of death to the internet as it was down today. I looked at the price and cable is better value when it works.

I think I will just keep using the mobile for connectivity thanks on Telstra and is in a grouped data usage plan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael, I have been with Optus cable for over 17 years. The last 4 months of service have been woe full - I cant remember how many times I've had to call the help line - now hidden at the end of the phone menu. Drop outs / slow speeds / latest is woefully slow latency and upload speeds : 0.03 was the best last night. I think OPtus is going through serious tech difficulties and just wont admit it it fear of a major class action / repercussion. Time everyone started shoutingn louder?
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@michael_g

Had we explicitly advised that the service is affected by Network congestion? 

You're welcome to send us a private message with your account details.

We'll cover off a few checks and see if your service diagnostics are within specification.

If the issue does stem from Network congestion, we can also discuss some options with you.

The same goes for @17yrOptusUser.

I'll need your full name, DOB and account number. Follow the URL I've linked below:

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan C,

At least a response ! Thank you :  network congestion?? for three months that has other wise been a well established area - with no major building work for +15 year .  Truely I have been a happy customer for 17 year with Optus Cable and never had such a woefull connection or support.  You tell me what's going on?  I had a new modem 2 weeks ago ( thank you!)  but no change!  

Have you out sourced the wires?  exchanges? as roumoured on other forums??  Seems TPG are not having these problems?  Convince me its not time to dump Optus???

and WHY is the help link on the back end of the phone menu!!! Bloody frustrating!!! and your new phone service can't record the numbers correctly - always getting the account number wrong!!! takes 5 minutes to get to the right menu and 45 minutes waiting!!! ITS 2018!!!!! For real!

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Optus HFC/Cable infrasture is wholly owned by Optus. We're responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the infrastructure. 

Do you have a link to thread? I've receive no communication to suggest that there's been any changes in that regard. 

Sorry, I just want some clarification around 

"WHY is the help link on the back end of the phone menu!!! Bloody frustrating!!!"

You mean to say that the option to report a fault is listed right end the IVR recording? 

Have you been using 133937 or our fault number 131344? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply. Today and last night have been rock solid.

Re where did I hear about Optus HFC sall to NBN - On the internet so it must be true 🙂

I was trying to locate the thread suggesting that I am not sure if it was here or Whirlpool but I found the one below and i can remember also reading that NBN had pumped some money into Optus to maintain the HFC system perhaps due to delays with there system.

I would much sooner remain on Optus cable as NBN has been nothing but trouble for my friend in Dromana. He had fiber to the node with something similer to ADSL via cooper to his business and it drops out all the time causeing his EFPos terminals to go off line.

Below is a thread I found on this forum re NBN and Optus cable.

There's a belief by some that given Optus has sold their HFC (Cable) network to NBN they are investing less money into maintaining it but outside of a few anectodotal comments/posts, there's no hard and fast proof of this. 

Since the outage, have you spoken to tech support at all? The outage could have triggered something else that needs to be fixed or it could just be a coincidence. I'd give Optus the chance to sort it out before jumping, especially given as you've said it can pretty inconvenient to switch. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just wrote you a long private response and got an authentication failure!!!!!  FFF web site.

Yes 0 its at the end of the phone menu - where is 131 344 advertised - NO WHERE - you insiders think this is all common knowledge its not!!

totally feb up - hey guess what, major choke at the momemt - less that 1 MBPS down 169 kbps up !!!! GO DIAL UP !

tied and over it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

131344 is not a fault line - rediculous!!!   I dont need help setting up my modem - I need some to fix my service!!!!! Anything esl press 5, chnge accoutn owner ship !!! really 

0 Kudos