Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cable internet

Hi,

I couldn’t find anything in the Netgear user manual relating to the blue light either. I can’t recall it being green or blue previously.

Through the Netgear manual I performed a modem reboot using the laptop plugged directly into it. No change.

Ive plugged the laptop back into the router, I have the LAN light on again. I can log into the router on the laptop and it tells me that I’m connected to the internet, but when I open a new tab and search the progress bar starts but doesn’t progress. No other messages.

Optus technical assistance, after the first 6 calls, I was hung up on after waiting in the cue for 1 hour 38 mins. Now in the cue again....... Nope just got asked to call back later before being cut off after another 48 mins.

image.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Interesting results and can you make a telephone call as it would prove the HFC part is working. 

IMG_0175 (Edited).JPG

Assuming you haven't allocated a static IP address from the Optus modem to your PC, when the PC directly connected to the CM500V, it may have been rejected as it's Ethernet Adaptor may still have had the modem's automatically DHCP allocated IP address in its memory. If you turn off the PC, wait 60 seconds, start it up and then reconnect it to the CM500V to see if connection possible. If no Internet, it may be a faulty CM500V or a HFC Network Centre fault or problem in street cabling. If connection is possible, is it as fast as you would expect it to be or very much slower? 

If connection is possible, it then points back to the Optus Modem. Turn the PC  OFF/ON again and reconnect it to the Optus modem - log into Advanced Settings screens with 'optus' and Wi-Fi password on modem to access screens. On Device/Summary - the bottom table shows you the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS Servers - these should be Optus Network IP addresses - I don't know what they are - maybe a web lookup to verify - are they showing? Looks like these settings are not changeable. My picture shows  modem not connected to HFC - hence why empty Primary and Secondary DNS entries.  

Unfortunately, Optus has to be engaged for resolution. At least you can pre-inform them of all the investigations you have completed with confidence when reporting the fault. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I changed the DNS as advised by a friend in IT. Instantly I was connected. It is now a week and a half later..... No one from Optus has been in contact (other than you guys on this thread). Wondering if and when we get NBN what they’ll offer? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Great outcome and thanks for the feedback. You can check the NBN type and service availability date for your address on this link.  Once it becomes available in your area , you have 18 months to apply before disconnection of the existing service.  https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

On the new Optus modem, early versions had their DNS capabilities locked into Optus DNS entries set in the modem but changeable from your PC adaptor properties. Not up to speed with current situation. Alternative Google DNS Servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 sometimes get people out of trouble. All the best.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey thanks.

I’m currently on 8.8.8.8 and have switched all the devices over to that.

I can’t change the DNS on my tv’s though so I can’t get them onto the net.

I’d really love to speak with Optus to resolve the issue. I am also trying to work out how to get better wifi signal throughout the house. There is an Ethernet patch panel adjacent to the modem and router which are in the garage (not the best location I know). 
Any advice is appreciated.

Graham

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Graham1 wrote:

I can’t change the DNS on my tv’s though so I can’t get them onto the net.

I'm surprised that the TV doesn't allow that. Can you give us the exact model number?

@Graham1 wrote:

I’d really love to speak with Optus to resolve the issue.

They won't be able to help you even if you manage to get through. Their "responsibility" ands once you have a working internet connection and they don't really prove and support for other peripherals?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

You may be lucky with the patch panel if it has the ability to do cross connections, does minimum CAT5 data cabling (generally mid blue in colour and labelled with a CAT rating) and voice circuits with rooms pre-cabled to it. Is it a Hills Home Hub or similar - if you can post a photo of it, we may be able to work out how you may be able to relocate the modem more centrally into the home.

Instead or connecting the NBN modem direct to the Optus modem in the garage, a patch cable (like the ones included in the modem box) would link the NBN to an alternative position on the panel that extends to another room in home where you could then locate the modem - closer to your entertainment equipment or study.  

0 Kudos