Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Cable internet

My home Optus cable internet isn’t working. I tried relocating the Sagemcom 3864V3 OP router to a better location but it wouldn’t connect to the internet. I have returned it to its original position. I have performed all the turn on/off resets on both the Netgear CM500V modem and the router. I have wifi but still no internet. 
With an Ethernet cable connected to the router from my laptop, there Is still no internet.

Please contact me urgently

Graham.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Cable internet

Make sure that the coaxial cable is screwed in tightly as they are very touchy when loose.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi - on the CM500V, do you have 4 green LEDs on - 1. Power, 2. Down, 3. Up and 4. Ethernet to modem OK - indicating healthy NBN link? The F@ST 3864OP connected from its WAN port to the LAN port of the CM500V with a Optus modem WAN LED indicating connection to CM500V and linkage to the Internet OK? 

If so, can you reboot your PC and see if it connects to the Internet. If LED 4 is not ON and the Optus modem WAN LED is not on, there is a problem with your modem - only remedy is to contact Optus to verify or, if applicable, if you have access to another spare and compatible modem from family or friends to get you up and going whilst the replacement from Optus arrives.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Modem & router.Modem & router.
This is my setup, there is no NBN in my area currently. 
Am I right to assume the DSL light on the router should be on ?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yep, checked secure thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Graham1 wrote:

Am I right to assume the DSL light on the router should be on ?  

No. You have a cable service which does not use use DSL.

The Optus router is indicating you have Internet and WAN. 

You indicated that "With an Ethernet cable connected to the router from my laptop" but the router shows the LAN light off. It should be on/flickering if there is an active LAN connection to your laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, wasn’t connected when I took the picture.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Ok.

So you can try ruling out a problem with the router by connecting the laptop directly to the cable modem . As long as your laptop has a default DHPC network config then a direct connection to cable modem box should work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

With the Router connected via the Ethernet cable to the laptop, the LAN light was on and steady. I could connect to Optus and log in. It says wifi connected but I still can’t connect to the internet.

I spoke with a friend on the mobile who talked me through sending a ping, but that failed.

Still lost, hopefully an Optus tech can get me across the line in the morning. Now is not the time for internet problems.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Your CM500V appears to have 6 LEDs ON and maybe the 7th is not in use - is the 5th LED usually Blue and is it labelled for Voice or LAN Data/Ethernet? Do you have an Optus guide that shows you the status of the modem and their associated colour LEDs - Optus web links to Netgear, but you never know if Optus has modified any settings for their version. 

The web page link for the Netgear Cable Modem shows 7 LEDs, the 5th LED is for Ethernet - It shows one Ethernet port and 2 Voice ports and the second non connected telephone port may explain why the 7th LED is not active.

If LED 5 is labelled for LAN and usually Green, can you try another LAN cable to join the WAN port of the Optus modem to LAN port of the Netgear modem. It may be for Voice on the Optus version and why it is a different colour but Blue is not listed as a colour in the user guide.

0 Kudos