cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Cable internet slows down in the evening

I got cable service for a few months now. No issues until couple of weeks ago.

i normally get around 50mbps down and 4mbps up.

Lately (and only in the evening) it slows down to 4.8mbps down and 0.3mbps up

I check again in the morning and it’s back to fast again.

There are no additional devices or services running in the evening. Same exact setup. Yet it drops to super slow speed.

I called support and they did some tests including testing modems etc.

No change.

Any idea what’s going on??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Cable internet slows down in the evening

It's impossible to be sure but what you've described indicates strongly towards network congestion. This basically means that Optus don't have enough bandwidth/throughput to supply everyone that's connected to your local node. So when everyone gets home in the evening and jumps online, switches on netflix, starts gaming etc they can't cater for everyone and it slows right down. Queue people going to bed, to work/school etc and your service returns to normal for a period of time until they all get home again.

Support should have been able to identify this for you. I'd call back and specifically request a congestion test this time. Unfortunately, it won't help much as it's not an easy/quick fix if I'm right. You'll likely have the option of a discount or to be let out of your contract without penalty (if you have one) to then seak out a new provider. If you're lucky, they'll have plans for an upgrade and will be able to confirm a tentative date for you but don't hold your breath. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes it looks like it is exactly that, as this morning speed was a fast 88mbps down and 3.8mbps up

As soon as I came home tonight and did a test, down to 4.7mbps download and 0.37mbps upload.

Here’s what’s going to happen:

1. I pay more than enough every month for fast cable internet

2. The purpose of it is to stream mostly, Netflix, Apple TV and the occasional free to air catch up applications.

3. Non of the above can stream at this pathetic speed without long waits and frequent pauses.

4. Talking to Optus support on the phone about it, is like talking to my 5yo son. Actually, he has a better chance understanding what the problem is.

5. I won’t bother wasting my time trying to get someone on the phone to do something about it.

6. I simply will not pay the bills. You see, in any industry, you can’t be expected to pay for services you DON’T receive. And since I don’t receive cable speed from Optus or a speed that I can actually stream with, I don’t see the reason why I should pay them any money.

7. If Optus fixes the problem, I will happily pay.

8. If Optus disconnects the service because of unpaid bills, the full details of this ridiculous saga will be outlined to the telco ombudsman.

Let’s see if anyone from Optus reads this and have the decency to do something about it....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Having the exact same issue. I pay an extra $20 per month for the speed pack which says i will get 30-100mbps, but mines goes all the way down to 1mbps sometimes. But everytime i check speeds on speedtest.net it shows about 12mbps then gradually spikes to around 50 like it knows its being tested, EVERTIME. But my Ps4 which is connected via ethernet(so should have fastest speeds possible) shows it at nothing higher than 15mbps, sometimes 1mbps. Very frustrating. Will be following this thread

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Fragy - sounds like network congestion to me, when like minded people all tune into Netfix, gaming or whatever other streaming site after a long day at work/school.
With regards to not paying your bill, we wouldn't recommend doing so. Regardless of whether you're experiencing a fault or not, unpaid bills will lead to a disconnection. 
Can you please confirm your account number, full name and DOB via a private message so we can take a further look?
Happy to see what we can do. Terribly sorry for the experience. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos