cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cable internet fast for Optus content, slow for everything else

Hi all, I am in desperate need of some help. I've spent countless hours on live chat banging my head against a brick wall and my issue is still not resolved.

I have had Optus Cable for years and never had issues until about April this year when I started noticing severely slow browsing speeds. This is across multiple devices (PC, laptop, Chromebook, iPhone, iPad) and all browsers. Netflix, however, works fine! I have a Google Home which also now will not work as the delay in response is too great - it just times out with a polite "Hmm, something went wrong, try again in a few minutes".

So I start running some speed tests. Results are great - ping time under 20ms with 20+Mbps down and 2+Mbps up speed. Explains why Netflix is working. Speedtests throughout the day do show some slowdown in peak - sometimes to around 6-8Mbps down and .8Mbps up - this I can live with and I expect but browsing is still always extremely slow - I've even had instances where google.com.au times out!

Then I started playing with speedtests and changing provider. It had always defaulted to Optus - hence the great speeds. As soon I try any of the others, Telstra, Internode, Exetel etc, I start seeing a massive problem. Roughly 40% of speedtests do not complete - they throw up a connection error on the upload test. Of those that do complete. I'm seeing ping times of 1500ms and over (high 2000s sometimes) and download / upload is roughly one third of the test using Optus as provider.

To me this shows there is some issue with the Optus switch in some way - as soon as traffic has to route away from Optus, there is a problem.

Live chat just keeps repeating that "technicians are working on the upgradation (sic)" and that this is due to network congestion. They even sent me a replacement Netgear / Sagecomm combo to replace my Cisco router which has made absolutely zero difference.

I don't know what else to do here - Optus support refuses to acknowledge the issue but the issue is very obviously still there.

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cable internet fast for Optus content, slow for everything else

Sounds tricky.

Unfortunately Optus Customer service speak "That is a known issue. There is no timeline for resolution. We are working on an upgrade" = "NBN is coming, we won't be doing anything unless your connection fails completely." The Optus cable network is also due to be decomissioned and scrapped in two years time so efforts to upgrade it are obviously limited.

Your description of what's happening though is a bit strange. Issues with the HFC network should affect all data destination equally. Generally a speedtest straight to Optus could be considered the fastest but from Optus to other speed test servers all use dedicated fibre etc.

I would suggest there may be something else going on. Your first thing would be to confirm the speed test. Do this by disabling wifi on your modem and using only a single wired connection to a single PC. Use a fresh browser (i.e. one you don't usually use) Edge, Chrome, etc. Run your speed tests (google also have a built in speed test if you google it in Chrome)

Do you have access to Telstra Cable? When is the NBn due at your home and what technology will it be?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter

I'll try out the speed test via ethernet with wifi disabled.

According to the NBN website my address is:

Build commenced | nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) 
Planned availability: Apr-Jun 2019*
Work has started in this area.

I used to have Telstra cable at this address years ago and didn't have issues - I only moved to Optus originally as, financially, it was a far better deal. Sadly, I suspect I might have to look at moving back to Telstra - this issue is causing so much frustration - kids can't get homework done, my wife and I both work from home once or twice a week but no longer can and the list just goes on. The cherry on top is the standard responses from support - no one is actually lsitening to what I'm saying!

I'll message back once I've tried the wired speedtest.  In the meantime, here is a screenshot of my downloaded speedtest results - pretty clear to see which ones are to Optus and which ones are to other providers.

My Speedtests

Thanks again for your time Peter.

Andrew
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah that latency looks problematic.

As a thought streaming services are not that concerned with latency because they just send the data stream through as soon as they can (and they cache). It looks like your speeds are ok so while the initial request to Netflix might take a second all sunsequent ones don't have an issue.

If Optus can't resolve your issue then the other cable supplier might be the go. The main benefit is NBNCo are using that cable so if you are connected then when the NBN arrives there is no extra work need to switch it over. They have also upped their upload speeds to 5Mbps which is a nice bump.

My thinking though is Optus shold be able to track down this latency issue. After you have done those no wifi tests you should request a technician come out and run some tests on your line. Optus should send one out if you ask enough times. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey mate im having the same issue for a lot ng time with them and i agree with you i think the failt is in their system once sometime it peaks and then 2 hours lates it is gone for who knos how long, i work as a web designer freelancer from home and my download speed is no joke 0.1 mb per sec

maybe you want to see the customer service guarantee law

cheers and good lick

0 Kudos