Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Cable connection on 2nd unit on same block

Hi there,

I have been reading a few posts regarding the same issue and from what I can gather, there's this policy regrding multi-unit blocks and cable internet. It seems that only the front house can get cable??

My block of land has 2 units. One at the front and one at the back. The front already has cable connection from an overhead cable to the pole in front of the property. The Optus connection box for front unit 1 is right next to the driveway.

Both units are brand new and the builder has already installed COAX cable from the unit at the back (Unit 2) that runs under the driveway and all the way to the front near Unit 1's optus connection box.

I have spoken to your sales team over the phone and the answer was that unit 2 can only get ADSL.

I'm far from the exchange and ADSL will be super slow. I use internet for work daily, transfering heavy files (like images and other art files) so fast internet is more than essential.

What is the solution here? Why can I not get proper fast internet when cables are practically there waiting to be connected??

Can you please help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cable connection on 2nd unit on same block

So not NBN yet? When?

Is sharing the connection an option? Run an ethernet connection from one modem to the second unit?

OPtus obviously control OPtus cable but it may be a zoning issue. Make of this article what you will.

Regards

Peter Gillespie.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sharing is not an option as we’re talking about two separate households...

There’s conduit running under the concrete driveway from the house entry point (I can see coax there) all the way to the footpath.

Thanks for sharing the article, this is exactly what I’m thinking of going through. 

They treat every case the same, based on a blanket policy. Telling them that you already have done the work for them and the cable is already installed on the premises, has absolutely no value to the person who you’re talking to on the phone. 

The answer is basically “suck it up and live with ADSL and every day drive under and over the fast cable and that is right at your doorstep”.

Pathetic excuse of customer service to say the least....

Really need to get a technician here to have a look, not a drive-by. They need to spend 5’ properly looking the existing provisional installation and give me a proper solution!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You could get the NBN to quote you a custom install. A bit pricey for the quote but it could be quite cheap if all cables are in place (although it seems you need to be on the NBN to get the quote - catch 22 - perhaps NBN will make an exception if your premise address has no connection date?).

Ultimately the NBN must connect to every house in Australia so the unit will eventually be done. But that might be a while away.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Fragy, if you send me a PM with your full name, address and a contact number I can ask our Serviceability team to take a look into your request.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Hannah-L, I just sent you a PM with all details.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi all concerned members,

I do have the same issue.....my rented property having ADSL Line and Cable connection.... But none of these is connected on the other end.

I called the customer service center and they simply say that they cant help with this and suggested me to go with VIVID Wireless which is very expensive about $90 per month.

I look forward to your comments.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@parm007, you've been advised that you have both ADSL and Cable infrastructure available at your rental? 

Are you a unit or block of apartments? We're unable to service properties for Cable broadband if there's 3 or more units on a single block.

I'm more than happy to run through some options with you. 

Feel free to PM us with your complete address.

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos