Searching...

Cable connection at back unit possible?

[ Edited ]
Xel

Asking here because I saw it worked for others: We recently moved into a townhouse rental unit and had to downgrade from cable internet service to the slowest ADSL service I've ever seen. We found out that the unit right in front of us is connected to Optus cable internet.

NBN is another whole year away and we're stuck on our lease for 9 more months, but what I'm asking is what do we have to do to get connected to the Optus cable box that's.. right there? RIGHT  there in front of us... I'd love to be back on a speed that's usable for my online job.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I've contacted Optus a few times asking if we could get cable and each time they said it's unavailable at our address, but it just felt like such a standard response. I feel like a technical person would say differently.

Re: Cable connection at back unit possible?

Yeldarb

This question has been posted numerous times over the years and as far as I understand there are both legal and technical reasons why supplying cable to a rear unit may not be possible. From what I have read it may be possible to get an appraisal by an Optus technician however trying to find a contact phone number to get this looked at has proved almost impossible. I would suggest that if the NBN is only a year away they wouldn’t be interested at even looking at it. How far away from the exchange are you as adsl is a good option until the NBN arrives?

Xel

The technician who set up our adsl said he felt really bad for us because we're at the end of the line from the exchange, I don't remember the exact distance. We get 3 mbps download on a good day and our service drops quite frequently. Some might argue that speed is usable, but we're a household of three heavy internet users, one of us relying on the internet for work purposes. Next house we move to, I'm defintely going to research internet connection for, but that doesn't solve our current connection issues.

I'm not overly familiar with NBN, but in theory, how will it connect to our back townhouse once its in our area? I've heard that houses can use their existing cable connection to connect to the NBN box on the curb once its installed, but I may have been misinformed. That's one of the reasons I've been hopeful about getting a cable ran to our house for the year we won't have NBN.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Yep I'm with you on that one as I can deal with a slow connection but dropouts drive me up the wall as they always seem to happen at the most inconvenient time. Might be worth doing an isolation test.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Fixed-Broadband-FAQ/How-to-run-an-Isolation-Test-ADSL/td-p/124323

Depending on what they rollout in your area they may use your existing copper line or install something new. Many of the people in my remote area are using NBN fixed wireless and that seems to work ok. Maybe home wireless broadband  (first link below) could be an option for the short term if adsl is problematic. The second link below gives you an idea on the different NBN connection methods and is worth a read.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-wireless-broadband

http://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/network-technology.html

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
72 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
27 Kudos