cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cable broadband disconnection date

Hi,

I would like to know when the cable broadband will be cut off in my area: Ryde, NSW, 2112

Previously I could view the date on the Optus site but I cannot seem to find it anymore. I believe it was some time in January 2021. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cable broadband disconnection date

You should be moving now. There's little advantage (and potentially a lot of disadvantage) trying to go down to the wire with an NBN switch over. The official NBN shut down date is usually 18 months after the NBN arrives in the area. Optus however generally close off their cable service after only 3 months. Basically you're living on borrowed time.

For the NBN you have a huge amount of choice. Check out the deals and the options but I would suggest getting the transition started now is a priority. As a side note you can ask any other RSP to hook up the NBN and they'll leave your Optus cable service completely untouched. Get everything transitioned over and have both services running and then shut the cable down. Just get a plan that has month to month.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

We already have NBN but it constantly drops out so we use our old cable connection which works perfectly. Optus and/or NBN are extremely slow at fixing the NBN connection and it has been a very long and painful process for us. The issue has been isolated to something only NBN can fix but making that a reality is extremely difficult. 

We would like to know how much borrowed time we have left on cable before it gets cut off and we are stuck with NBN, we don't know whether they will fix it in time of the cut off date at which point we would be in real trouble.

For clarification, we currently have Optus Cable Broadband which is working perfectly and Optus NBN HFC which is almost unusable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @hms2, if your address is ready for NBN then you will receive a letter from Optus advising the same and cut off date for your Cable service. Have you received this letter? You can always check the NBN rollout details for your particular address on their → website.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Appreciate where you are coming from @hms2. We need to look into your account to confirm the cut off date. However since this is a public forum we can`t access customers account details here. As such your best to speak with our Support team via the → messaging service to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks. Ok so those two services come down two different wires. Its likely the Optus official cut off date has long since passed. As you are now on the NBN you'll get no further updates and at some point Optus will just switch off the cable service. I assume you're not paying for the Optus Cable as well as the Optus NBN?

Its Optus job to provide a service. They can't blame the NBNCo. Their job is to organise NBNCo to fix the line. HFC should do 100Mbps without hassle. If Optus can't sort an NBN technician to come out and check the line then get another RSP to do so (my suggestion would be Aussie Broadband with local service that takes ownership of issues rather than requiring you to constantly chase them up.)
0 Kudos