cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor canhascow
New Contributor

Cable and upload speeds

After spending nearly half a month trying to get a straight anwser from any of your reps I figured this may be a better place then anywhere to ask again.

What else do I need to do to get better uploads?

I am already on the level 3 speed pack.

IT did nothing at all for me speed wise.

I still sit on MAYBE 1.2Mbs UL.

I was told and got him to quote it that I would get at LEAST 2Mbs.

Im at my wits end with this. I work from home and require a stable upload speed, Hell I need more then what I already have and I am unsure why no one will give me a straight awnser on this.

So yeah. Help/

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Contributor joel
Contributor

Re: Cable and upload speeds

Hey Canhascow,

The Optusnet Cable network (HFC) has a max possible upload speed of 2Mbps.

This is set at a network level due to the majority of consumer data use being downloads.

The premium speed access will only increase download speed up to 100mbps for sites within Australia.

External sites to Aus will have normal speed based on how fast the data can get to Aus via the undersea fibre optics.

The upload speed may fluctuate depending on the time of the day and how many users around you are taking up bandwidth.

Have you checked when NBN is being installed in your area?

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/network-coverage

Optus super fast 4G may give a much faster upload capacity, especially if you can connect to out 2300mhz TDD 4G network.

On a side note, the max advertised upload speed on ADSL2+ is about .5mbps.

New Contributor

If I wanted a speal on how "Average" Australians use the internet I would call your technical support department.

I don't care about downloads. Nor did I bring "Download speeds" up.

All I am concerned about is upload speeds and weather or not I can get better then 2Mb/s on optus cable.

Not a load of junk of how average users have no clue about what an acceptable speed for an upload actually is.

RetiredModerator Julz
RetiredModerator

Once we're satisfied that we can boost your U/L speed, we will increase the capacity. As we did from 512kpbs to 2mpbs with the introduction of Docsis 3 technology. As Joel mentioned, maybe you could consider a 4G Wireless product. Check out my speed test result → 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1048368198. 2mpbs is a theoretical max & usually fluctuates around 1.5mbps. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Ohh really? So the 12 techs I spoke with were lying then?

Optus isn't DOING any upgrades in the future. They are waiting for Telstra to finish their FTN roll-out so they can piggy back off of that.

The fact that you don't even offer VDSL is proof of this.

You have the technology now to boost ul speeds to 15Mb/s at my exchange, the thing is you simply wont because you are not willing to spend money on anything apart from when faunts actually get investigated.

Im sick and tired of being run around with the constant passing off.

I've spoken with more then likely 45% of your tech team and not a single one keeps the same story.

as for 4G? Sure i'd happily use 4G if optus actually offered it for a reasonable price and not the junk that you have now. $66 for 10gb of data? Good joke.

I use roughly a 10th of that a day due to my work and that's just uploads. So no 4G can not be considered until you actually come up with a pricing structure that isn't an utter joke. 

Next step is the TIO because im completely over this.

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Julz was just speaking generally. As has been confirmed, no plans to enable faster upload speeds currently

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Limosine
New Contributor

Years later and still 2mbps max upload. Sad state isn't it.

0 Kudos
New Contributor luddite33
New Contributor

I'm a new customer and 1.2MB up. Very slow uploading a 1TB backup...

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Until you're migrated to the NBN network, you're not going to see much of an increase.

Uploads of 1.2mbps is considered within range on Optus Cable broadband. 

We've upped the default download speed to 50Mbps, but upload has remained as is. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor luddite33
New Contributor

Thanks. I see that the rollout isalready commenced. In your experience are these timeframes accurate? Or should I expect 2020?

Construction stage: Build commenced Planned to be available from: Apr-Jun 2019*

Note: Some premises may require more work before they are ready to connect.

Planned technology

nbn™ Fibre to the Curb (FTTC)*

0 Kudos