Searching...

Cable Not Available... But it is...

adam_krafty

Hi all,

I had a look around and couldn't see much in regards to this. I am relocating houses and currently have a NBN connected plan, which I am 12 into the 24 months of. Unforuntately the new house doesn't have NBN, it does however have cable. The cable runs directly to the house and a week ago I checked via optus search and cable was listed as available in my home. 

Now, a week later, it is listed as ADSL2+ only. A chatted to someone online who wasn't very helpful and told me no there's no cable in my house. I know for a fact there is and when I search Telstra availability it says yes I can connect to cable, as does Foxtel. I am pretty dissapointed to be told that it's not available, when it is.... One week prior this was possible through Optus. I am wondering if anyone has had any previous experience with this? 

I do not believe it to be fair to be told that the service cannot be provided, when it can, and am looking for advice on how to proceed.

Cheers in adavance,

Adam

Re: Cable Not Available... But it is...

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

Telstra.

Too many people in turmoil over HFC and NBN conflicts, then dealing with problems with NBN connections. You think it's an injustice that you can't get Optus' cheap service, but that's why they won't do it.

adam_krafty

Sorry I'm confused... So they won't provide this service, even though it's available, due to HFC & NBN conflicts amongst other issues? NBN isn't even schelduled in the area yet... and more to the point, I was told it's not available at my house, when it is available they are choosing now not to provide it... yet they did a week ago. My head hurts. Thanks for the response.

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

http://www.afr.com/technology/web/nbn/nbn-halts-hfc-rollout-effective-immediately-as-issues-mount-20...

HFC is being dumped, so if Telstra wants to supply it because you pay them more...

Australia's internet is a mess.

10000000000GB

I think the short way of looking at it, is that you are asking for an interrim service, which comes with equipment they pay for. But they don't know what period to write off that equipment. They would prefer to give you something cheap, that can be converted to NBN cheaply.

adam_krafty

Thanks again. Yes I understand that they wouldn't setup any new HFC connections, but the cable service is already available to the home. The only extra service they would be providing is a modem... which I would happily pay for. The cable greatly service is superior to the ADSL2+ in the area. To offer the availability one week, and later say no you can't get it at your house is false. It can be done, they just don't want to. This means I was lied to by the customer service rep & will be requesting a better solution, or out of my contract.

Cheers for the help, Hopefully I hear from a customer rep soon.

Adam

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi @adam_krafty,

It would appear that the cable connection in your home is Telstra Cable. Obviously Optus can't use this. In time the NBN will use this Telstra cable to provide NBN over. This is why Telstra says you can connect with them.

There seems to have been some glitch in Optus knowing if cable was available - but generally all such statements are subject to a contract and check on the ground as it were. If you want to PM me a street address I can try double check the Optus availability (although as the Optus cable is due to be scrapped a few months after NBN goes live in the area they're not looking to spend money attaching homes even if it was around)

As you are moving, Optus are usually happy to relocate your service as long as some Optus related service is available. If not they they will usually let you out of the contract, but as ADSL is available you're expected to finish up your contract for the next 12 months. Optus may release you if you ask nicely and say going from cable to ADSL is not feasible for your needs, but its not something they are required to do.

Regards

Peter Gillesie

Hannah-L

Hi all, just to correct a couple of the above comments - We are definitely still installing Optus Cable in areas where there's an existing Optus HFC footprint. This is irrespective of whether the NBN is 1 month or 1 year away. HFC NBN uses Telstra's legacy HFC network in the majority of HFC NBN-capable areas and there is currently a stop-sell on that product across all providers while some remediation work is being carried out. This doesn't affect Optus' ability to provide our customers with a Cable service within our own HFC footprint.

@adam_krafty - Is your new property a unit or standalone house? In cases where there's been a subdivision the serviceability check will revert to the original record for the standalone home, rather than the unit number. If you'd like to send me a PM with your full street address, full name and contact number we'll be able to take a closer look into it.

adam_krafty

Thanks for this information Hannah. I have sent you a private message as requested.

Kind regards,

Adam Krawczyk

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Optus has always had some legacy rules on not hooking up more than the first home in a multi unit property. I agree I mispoke.

The arrival of the NBN has actually had the opposite effect IMO. Optus continue to sign up cable customers without regard. Current focus is on NBN speeds and CVC but anecdotaly the once mighty Optus cable network now slows dramatically each night. My own connection is 90Mbps by day, a quick speedtest now (9:30 pm) shows 6Mbps. Too many users downloading too much data on a cable due to be scrapped as not fit for purpose in 10 months.

It will be interesting if @adam_krafty can get connected after all. I'd also be interested in the speeds he achieves once connected.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
63 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
32 Kudos
16 Kudos