Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Valnum
New Contributor

Cable - No Network connection to modem

Hi,

On Friday we had thunderstorms in our area and after one of the lightning strikes our internet dropped out.

I have a feeling a power surge has impacted our internet.

I contacted support on Sat, to explain;

wall coaxial, directly modem, modem directly to PC

First 4 lights of modem are on - power, in/out, and internet.

This was then confirmed by the 2 support people that we have internet flowing to the modem.

The 5th light is the network light, this doesn't blink or activate at all.

The cat5 connection from PC to modem, I have changed with 3 other cables.  All dont activate the network light.

I have tested these cables with remitting into a switch (disconnect modem, and test directly into the switch) this works, so the cables work fine.

I suspect it's a problem with the modem, and it can't network interface.

Support have advised that, it won't be working as there is planned maintainence in the area.  I did challenge this, as if there was planned maintainence, wouldn't I get no internet or connection on my modem? In addition it doesn't explain why I can't locally remote into the modem 192.168.100.1.

Support advised that I should wait till today, to see if it resolves it self, once maintence in area is finished.  It hasn't..

How do I organise a replacement modem?  Is there somewhere I can go to pick one up, instead of waiting longer for delivery?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cable - No Network connection to modem

I agree, being unable to hit 192.168.100.1 suggests its not 'maitenance'.

Have you done the full factory reset and just tried a local connection to your PC with all other equipment disconntected?

Your issue could confuse customer service as they can see the modem which usually they say means your setup is wrong.

I'd just keep contacting customer service. Explain the CAT5 has been confirmed inoperable and you would like to swap the modem over.Unfortunately no options for pickup but mail out is usually pretty fast. Alternatively buy / borrow another modem to use in the mean time / permanently.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Valnum
New Contributor

Thanks Peter,

Ended up calling support - but still wanted to troubleshoot it and weren't very helpful.  They sent a technician out.

Changed over modem and was working, lights all on (including network light).  Needed to be registered onto optis network, which took the most time.  

I think it would be a good way to order replacement modem online, as would of saved me several hours dealing with support.

I guess potentially it could be a user setup error, but was very confident I troubleshooted correctly.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Glad they got someone out so fast though (and you're diagnosis was correct)

As an IT person myself its pretty frustrating to have to walk through all the steps you've already done and know are ok, but I suspect a fairly high percentage of issues end up being on the customers end.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos