Searching...
Highlighted

Cable Modem Upgrade

Cindy1

Hi, I have an old Optus Cable modem issued to me when I first signed up. It’s a Netgear CVG824G. My internet speed is not very good and I would like to know if this can be replaced with a newer modem issued by Optus? Also, if I purchase the Optus Speed pack will this guarantee an improvement in my speed?

Re: Cable Modem Upgrade

Esther

Hi Cindy1 - speeds do vary due to a variety of factors such as customer's equipment, users on the network at the same time (also known as congestion), hardware et only to name a few.

Speed packs can increase speeds, but if your area is impacted by temporary congestion this would still impact the speeds even with a pack added.

May I ask what type of speeds do you see @  http://yesopt.us/speedtest when connected via Ethernet only, no other programs running? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Cindy1

Thanks very much Esther.  My current speeds re between 5Mbps and 8 Mbps which is well below the 25Mbps - 30Mbps which Optus aim to provide.  I recognise that there are a variety of factors that could impact on performance but this is rediculously low.  I spoke to the Optus Tech team who reset the modem, re-ran the tests and agreed that it was time to upgrade.... and becuase I'm a long term customer he also agreed to waive the cost.  I'm hoping that my new cable modem (which should arrive in 4-5 business days) will improve things.  

Esther

Thanks for the update! Hopefully the new modem will rectify the issue - please do keep us posted how you get on! We're only ever a post away if you need us.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
40 Kudos
30 Kudos