Searching...

Cable Installation

[ Edited ]
jcecc5

I live in Cannon Hill. I am on Telstra ADSL now and get a link speed of 5Mbs shared between 7-8 users.

There is Optus Overhead Cable right across the street. However, the Optus broadband checker says only ADSL is available. 

Due to the amount of Cable in my area, the NBN is not even planning to roll out. It would happen eventually, but there are no plans whatsoever for construction to even commence.

My neighbor across the street is on the Optus Cable network, and my neighbor two doors down is on the Optus Cable Network.

I enter my neighbor directly left of me into the broadband checker and they are eligible for Cable, yet are not hooked up.

It is possible my address creates an error in the system, as it also can create errors for GPS Navi systems.

How am I to achieve connection to the Optus Cable Network? 5+ years of sharing 5Mbs, waiting for an ever slow to roll out NBN to arrive will not be fun.

Re: Cable Installation

jcecc5

I have called Optus, and I have contacted via live message online support.

The closest I have gotten to having them order a technician to my property is this. If you order broadband services (ADSL), a technician will come to the property to inspect.

In my experience this is not guaranteed as ADSL can be patched through off site, and as such a technician may not come to my premises, and see the cable right accross the street.

So basically, my neighbour who is not hooked up, can have an optus cable installed, however I can only get ADSL.

Is it really that hard to drop cable to a property 6M to the left? With no obstructions and direct line of site?

The property accross the street, and two doors down have it dropped both across the street, and straight down.

Everyone around me has cable, and yet my household of 7-8 users has to share a max bandwidth of 5Mbs.

Google and you will find plenty of people with similar issues, change of suburb name, or street name even 10 years ago is stopping them from even activating cable (some of these people had optus cable installed just not active) because the system said it was not available. Eventually after much frustation majority of these people were able to either get cable dropped or activated.

I just want to be able to arrange a technician to drive-by, even at my expense. Inspect and hopefully book my house in for instalation, bypassing the known to be broken broadband check database/system.

They used to provide this service for $165 I have read?

Highlighted

PhilC

Hi there! 

As I'm sure you're aware there are many restrictions when installing cable internet as it's a physical cable running from the street to the property. Some of the more common issues are results of the property being a multi dwelling unit, more than 2 stories high, doesn't have street frontage, too far away from the cable on the street or a part of a battle axe block. That being said I'm happy to arrange for a drive by at no extra cost to yourself if you can private message us the address! - Phil  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

jcecc5

Hi Phil. 

Thank you very much, that's all I was after. 

Luckily it's a single dwelling, 2 stories high with a square block on street frontage. It also appears to be aprox the same distance from the cable on the street. 

Thank you for letting me know about those though, I can be hopefull now!

I will send a PM with my address in the coming days. 

Marcel

Heya! No worries - I've sent off that request, we'll keep you posted once we hear back. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Re: Cable Installation Success!

jcecc5

Optus have come through!

The address has been updated as eligible for cable installation. 

This is what I was after and I am pleased with the resulting customer service.

I will book for an attempted installation now.

Re: Cable Installation Success!

PhilC

That's great news jcecc5! If there is anything else we can help with don't hesitate to let us know! Smiley Happy - Phil

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
53 Kudos
38 Kudos
24 Kudos