Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Contributor ECDCGC
Contributor

Re: Cable Broadband Static IP address

Many Thanks Ryan of Optus  Support, the other was activated and I now have a new Cable Router IP address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Ryan
RetiredModerator

It was a pleasure speaking to you - thanks for the great feedback too!

If there's ever anything else I can help with then be sure to drop me a PM or simply create a new Topic that I'm sure I'll come across 😉

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Meg-Steve
Occasional Contributor

It seems that the Optus technical support people dont either read this forum or get given its information.  We too would like a new IP address for our Cable service, having been ip banned from a gaming site.  

Each call is greeted with the same information, power down or remove the coaxial cable to get a new IP address.  This DOES NOT work.

Then I was told that my IP was due to change in 24hours.  Only to find out the person 'made up' this information, presumably to get me off the phone.

Another call and another chance to be told to turn off the modem this time for at least 24 hours. (Great internet service that is!)

So I ask to speak to a supervisor, who did talk to me but was so busy talking to others as to be rude.

He told me there is nothing that Optus can do.

So I ask to speak to someone in Australia, but of course no such person exists.

I would like a new IP.  It seems all other service providers can so this, why cant Optus?

We have had our cable internet for over 10 years, its been a good service and this is the first request we have made, it really cant be that hard can it to get an honest answer or at least someone who at least pretends to listen!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Ryan
RetiredModerator

Hi Meg-Steve - in regards to the information passed on to you in RE: leaving your modem switched off for a period of time. This would then increase your chances of the allocated IP address then being reallocated to another modem resulting in a fresh one being allocated to yourself. Have you perhaps tried contacting the Gaming admin to attempt to resolve why you were banned from their site at all?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Sylvester_C
New Contributor

I know this is over 2 years old, but this is for anyone who stumbles upon this thread, has the same problem as I did and needs to change their IP  address.

At the Command Prompt, you use ipconfig /all and this will display something similar to this:
Ethernet adapter Optus Cable Broadband:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : optusnet.com.au
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-D0-94-8A-D1 <== an example of an Ethernet card address
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 110.22.66.134  <== an example of a current IP address
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0

Open Device Manager (run devmgmt.msc)  Open Network Adapters and select NIC , Open Properties, Advanced, Network Address. Type in the hex value of the Physical Address without the dashes.  Changed the last hex number.  For e.g. D1 to D2.

Reset your modem to reboot (press the reset button at the back).  Or unplug it and remove the battery.  ipconfig /all now displays:

Ethernet adapter Optus Cable Broadband:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : optusnet.com.au
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-D0-94-8A-D2  <== changed
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 110.22.8.186  <== changed
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0

0 Kudos