cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cable Broadband Static IP address

Hello Optus Support, please see my last post to you, I'm bumping this post.  Would be grateful for guidance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey ECDCGC - are you able to please clarify which post it is you're referring to so we can assist further?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Ryan

I bought an Optus Netgear  CG3000 Router  off ebay, guaranteed as working 100%.  I'm trying to see if I can get a different IP address with a different MAC device connected.

I Connected Cable, Power and LAN Port (I don't use wireless option),  reset back to Factory Default.   The Internet Light, LAN Port etc lights are all normal, my computer internet port shows connected but I cannot access the Internet..   From the Router Settings it looks like I have a new IP.    Why can't I connect, do I have to contact Optus Support?

I had to reinstall the first router to write this message, so I guess I can't swop and keep swoping routers,  just testing.  Pls advise, thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hey ECDCGC, if you’re still not able to connect to the internet using the new NetGear CG3000 Modem it would be because the details including MAC address needs to be updated in our system for the new modem to work. If you send us your info here with the new MAC address, serial number (and anything else written on the sticker on the bottom of the modem) then we can get this activated for you.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Many Thanks Optus Support, I have mailed you the Router Details.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@ECDCGC: Come to think of it, I had problems with my cable internet connection a few years back now; I was using the old Motorola Surfboard SB 5101 modem and a Netgear WGR614v7 Wifi Router. I rang up Optus and they told me it was a router problem and got told to ring Netgear. I rang Netgear and the warranty on the router had expired and they could only give me so much help. Netgear then told me to ring Optus to get it sorted out..... I rang Optus again and spoke to a lady who was helpful and she had to manually give me an IP address to type into the fields within the Netgear router settings page!

So yeah, like you said, it's difficult for your cable IP address to change from their end and manually from your end by the suggested tips here! I've even done the same myself. Powered off both the router and modem for 30secs, powered them on and still the same IP address. I've even just used the cable modem directly attached to my pc and still the same IP address.

Since I've been connected to cable from Optus since 2001, I've noticed only 3 times that the IP address has changed! Go figure!

Why is it with ADSL routers / connection, that our IP addresses can change so often? I can power off, reset my Netgear router and get a new IP address, just like that!

Have a blessed one... Smiley Wink

Have you seen something helpful? Don't forget to give it a kudos. Asked a question and got an answer? Make sure you mark it as an accepted solution! caaf wrote: This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Heyyyy Danzel!Smiley Wink  I'm starting to feel like family here....

It just does not make sense that with ADSL routers you can change IP addresses but Cable not, it's almost as if Cable IP's are coded against a MAC address, rotating over long periods?

But I can tell you that I'm onto something buying another router (cheap off ebay) with a different MAC address, if you go into the Router Settings you can actually see the new IP address, switch back to the old router get old IP, so with Cable it's definitely related to the MAC of the router!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Optus Support, I mailed you the Router details on 21-5-14, I got no reply yet, can you tell me if my backup router has been activated yet?  Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Heya - I've just sent you a Private Message with some details in regards to your enquiry 🙂 

You can view this by clicking on the small grey envelope on the right hand side of your screen (just be sure to be logged in) 😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You for the phone Call Ryan from Optus Support. I will let everyone here know what happened once router is activated.

0 Kudos