cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cable Broadband Static IP address

Hello Danziel, thanks and yes,  seems to be a Cable Broadband problem.  I can't go ADSL though cause the house I rent is only wired for cable and to get it wired for ADSL will cost me an absolute fortune.  Just not worth it.  

For what it's worth, this Cable Broadband is FAST and reliable, more than any ADSL+2 I have operated, just my experience.

I can't be sure but  it looks like I have had current Cable IP since inception, so if it is never gonna change, that in a way means I have a "static" (never changes) IP address.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

For those who find they are "suddenly banned" for no good reason from a Forum they have participated  in for years.  Perhaps the Optus Technies will find this info useful too.

I am truly not a bad apple online, I just don't have the time to be a pest, that's why I found this so strange.  I found out why though, it's a new kind of MASS CENSORSHIP that's going on!   Many other people are discovering the same thing, writers that have been online for years have suddenly been censored, specially contributors that became popular.  

See these links, my username is gigic, I have left comment on both. 

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/03/how-forums-secretly-ban-people-david-icke-above-top-sec...

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/new-members/the-fascist-moderator-on-the-david-icke-forum-t38878-8...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No Julz, you are wrong. I expected better from optus support. It doesn't change anything whether I take out the battery and/or keep the modem off for an hour.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Optus Support, OK, I got myself a secondhand CG3000 backup router off ebay, guaranteed as working 100% by the Seller who needs my feedback.  I'm trying to see if I can get a different IP address with a different MAC device connected.

I Connected Cable, Power and LAN Port (I don't use wireless option),  reset back to Factory Default.   The Internet Light, LAN Port etc lights are all normal, my computer internet port shows connected but I cannot access the Internet..   From the Router Settings it looks like I have a new IP.    Why can't I connect, do I have to contact Optus Support?

I had to reinstall the first router to write this message, so I guess I can't swop and keep swoping routers,  just testing.  Pls advise, thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

What cable modem do you use? is it the older Motorola Surfboard cable modem or one of the Netgear cable modems?

Have a blessed one... Smiley Happy

Have you seen something helpful? Don't forget to give it a kudos. Asked a question and got an answer? Make sure you mark it as an accepted solution! caaf wrote: This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

If you want a new IP to be assigned to you, all you have to change the MAC address of the router hooked up to the modem, and you will have a new IP. If you don't have the option to do that, you may be out of luck.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Luke, I believe Optus modified the settings on the new generation routers, like Netgear CG3000, so that you cannot modify the MAC address.  That's why I bought another router, to have a device with a different MAC address but when I hook it up I cannot access the internet at all, even if I reset to default.  I guess I will have to phone Optus Support and report the new router to them and have it activated, that's probably the problem, you can't just hot swop routers...??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That's annoying, I recently got my CG3000v2 coming from a Cisco DPQ3212 with a separate router, with which I could set the MAC and it would lease me a new IP. I hope you get the situation resolved
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

LukeK, I'm not sure that you can plug a non Optus router into their system, can you?  

0 Kudos