cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor JATIN
New Contributor

Cable Broadband Static IP address

We have Naked Cable Broad with static public IP address. I was wondering if we could have dynamic public IP address?

0 Kudos
34 Replies
RetiredModerator Julz
RetiredModerator

Re: Cable Broadband Static IP address

Hey Jatin - we don't offer a Static IP to Cable users. Can you power down the modem, wait a few minutes, power up & you should have a new IP. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor ECDCGC
Contributor

Hello I have Cable Broadband, Netgear CG3000 modem,  My IP address remains the same no matter how many times I power down the Router, IPCONFIG /RELEASE, etc.   

I have 2 computers connected and the IP on BOTH are the same if I check it through sites like WHATISMYIP.COM?

Is there a way to change the Router IP address or at least my public IP address.  I checked my IP BLACKLIST and for some reason I am blacklisted on  l2.apews.org?, does that mean anything?   Yes it is about Forum Use but I am not an abuser but I did peeve the admin on a political point and I think it got personal..... just being honest.?

0 Kudos
Contributor SlayerTip
Contributor

I want my IP changed aswell... ive tried everything, and the optus tech support are as useless as a blind taxi with no arms or legs.
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Julz
RetiredModerator

Switch off the modem, remove the internal battery, wait 30 mins to 1 hour & reboot. This should reset your assigned IP. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor ECDCGC
Contributor

Sorry that does not work either, my IP address is still the same.  

I checked my email headers recently and I have had this particular IP address  a couple of months?   Not a train smash though, I was just curious, I can always get a VPN if I really want to go back to that particular forum where my IP is banned.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ian
RetiredModerator

Nothing else we can really suggest on this one, sorry!

If it expires & then someone else obtained the previous IP while your modem was off, you'd of course then be given a different one 🙂
0 Kudos
Contributor ECDCGC
Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply.    So if someone else obtained my IP ADDRESS and I get theirs, does that mean that they will be banned from the same forums I was?   If so, it is like falling dominoes?  Smiley LOL  No point then really

0 Kudos
Contributor ECDCGC
Contributor

I just contacted Optus Support and they confirmed that the IP address you  get on Cable Internet is very hard to change, they tried to reset from their side but no luck.  Apparently users are allocated a certain IP adress that cannot be hacked into for security reasons and it is hard to change.  I'm not sure what the difference is between a static and such a permanent IP adress?  Anyway, for anyone else who wanted to know, you can't, so behave online........ don't peeve the admin....Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Dynamic IP vs Static IP

http://whatismyipaddress.com/dynamic-static

I've previously had cable with Optus and I was the same. Maybe three times throughout being on cable the IP address changed whereas now being on ADSL, if I unplug my router, reset it, or if the internet is out, I always seem to get a new IP address!

Have a blessed one... Smiley Happy

Have you seen something helpful? Don't forget to give it a kudos. Asked a question and got an answer? Make sure you mark it as an accepted solution! caaf wrote: This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information.
0 Kudos