Searching...

Cable Broadband - Netgear CG3000 wifi drop outs

abciximab

Hi all,

For the past few months I've been experiencing problems with my cable broadband - standard issues like network outages or on-peak lag, but also issues with my wifi connection and signal (not wired internet).
I've called Optus technical support countless times trying things such as changing the wifi channel, restarting my modem and doing factory resets, but nothing has resolved the issue. My most recent call ended with the technician hurriedly telling me nothing is wrong on my end and ending the call. I would really appreciate some guidance on understanding whether the issue is in fact on my end, and how to resolve it.

My issue:

• Poor wifi signal strength - using a wireless network extender for parts of the house
  • Constant wifi drop outs at all hours of the day

My main questions:
1. Does the CG3000v2 provide better wifi capability? Online searches indicate it is, but the Optus phone technician said the only difference is the speed capabilities which are irrelevant to me, and Optus that won't provide me with an upgraded modem.

2. Would it be advisable for me to buy a separate router and bridge in attempts to improve my wifi signal and strength?

Re: Cable Broadband - Netgear CG3000 wifi drop outs

Thane

Hi abciximab,

It sounds like you've done everything I would do and the next step would be to try another modem.

I've sent you a Private Message with some info about what to do next.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

sounddesk

Hi Thane

I am having the exact same problem with my cable modem, CG3000.

The modem works fine on the lower level of my house but directly above, the rooms have intermitent reception at best.

They are concrete floors but only 2 metres away and major drop outs and very slow internet.

What kind of modems can I use to replace or boost this modem?

SamSam

That's a complicated question @sounddesk! There are so many options available nowadays for home networking.

First thing I'd say is a Wi-Fi signal drops in height the further it spreads. With that in mind, depending on how many devices will be used upstairs, I'd recommend a second access point of a repeater. My recommendation would be a second access point hardwired in if possible (a second access point essentially means another router creating another network upstairs). If you can't hardwire it in, if ethernet over power extenders work in your home, I'd use them in conjunction with another router.

The next thing to think about is the type of modem, brand and cost you want to foot. As I said initially, there's a lot to factor in so I'd do some research and maybe head into your local electronics store to speak with someone face to face and get some ideas on costs with real life examples.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

sounddesk

Hi SamSam,

Thanks for the reply.

I have set up a tp-link av500 to work over the power from downstairs to upstairs but not a great solution.

Still slow with dropouts.

Before I went to cable, I was on adsl 2 (open modem).

That modem was in the same spot as this cable modem but it gave great coverage all over the house.

I just think it is the cable modem wifi that is not very good.

I was thinking of adding a stronger wifi router to the modem to boost the signal.

Is that possible? Which would you suggest?

Also my house has brick walls and concrete ceilings with no ceiling space for cables, so wifi is the only way. 

SamSam

Hmmm well if you've had another modem in the same spot and got the coverage you were after, you should be able to achieve the same thing. I've heard varying reports about the CG3000 with regards to WiFi so there's every chance it's not as good as you previously had.

Do you still have your ADSL modem? You can probably use the WiFi on that to get the results you're after. You'll just need to bridge the CG3000 which basically means you turn everything off except for one ethernet port and then plug it into the other modem.

To put your modem into bridge mode, make sure you're connected to the modem, open your browser and type http://192.168.0.1/RgNatControl.asp into the URL. This will turn NAT off which will do what you need. To reverse this, enter http://192.168.100.1/RgNatControl.asp

It's important to note how to reverse it because Optus won't support your modem in bridge mode if you run into any problems.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

sounddesk

Hi SamSam,

Thanks for the info on seetting up bridge mode.

I don't mind that Optus doesn't support bridge mode - they don't support bad wifi mode either :-)

Does it interfere with the phone line coming into the cable modem?

I don't have my old open modem anymore (it was over 5 years old).

Can you suggest another device that has really good wifi I can use in bridge mode?

I don't mind the cost (up to $200 or so).

cheers,

SamSam

I'm not 100% sure about the phone line question sorry. I don't believe it does but before spending any money I would test it first.

As for which router, I haven't bought one in ages. Years ago when I did, I found that from a features and cost point of view, Belkin offered the best value for money option. Another regular contributor reckons Netgear products (outside of the CG3000) work pretty well to. You should easily be able to find a decent router for under $200

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
85 Kudos
80 Kudos
67 Kudos
35 Kudos
34 Kudos