Searching...
Highlighted

Cable Broadband Installation Problems

Enis

Hi all,

I have had some recent issues with trying to get internet connected, I have cable broadband in my street but Optus is refusing to install to my property, the property is a multi-dwelling house with rooms rented out (boarding house).

One of the neighbours has Optus connected as his room is facing the street and is at the front of the property. Optus is stating they only install cable to the front of each property and not anywhere else.

This does not seem to make sense, why would they refuse a connection that will make them money?

The property is made up of multi rooms rented out, basically 1 big house – why is any different to installing a connection to each bedroom and lounge room in a normal house?

I have tried to escalate it with the sales department and requested a site visit but they won’t come out as it’s not something they are interested in and said I should just go with another internet provide – this is so stupid, push potential customers to another supplier.

At each HFC connection point on the Optus cable in the street there is either 1 or 0 connections being used out of the potential 8 available, so it’s not a problem with not having any ports available.

I have also tried to connect with Optus DSL to be only told there is no free cable pairs/ports available in the exchange.

Is there any way to get this escalated to have the installation completed?

Re: Cable Broadband Installation Problems

Ryan

Hi Enis - unfortunately this connection will not be processed for you as we're unable to service MDU's with a Cable Internet service. It's also unfortunate that there's no available pairs in order to get a DSL Direct active at your premises either. It would be best to check back with our Sales team a little later down the line to see if anything has become available in regards to a DSL Direct service - if you haven't already found a service provider. Again, we're really sorry that we're unable to provide a service for you currently. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Enis

Hi Ryan,

I would like to clarify my previous statement and reiterate that this is 1 building with rooms being rented, it’s known as a boarding house.

I understand you don't install into MDU’s, but this is a single dwelling with multiple tenants renting boarding rooms, why is this any different to a single house and having Optus cable installed into the living room and having another connection in the home office being billed separately?

Tris

It's different in that we don't bill separate rooms Enis. Understand what you're getting at, but it's not possible. The only way you could potentially have this done would be to have the house mate with the cable service to request an additional outlet installed into your room in the property

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Enis

Hi Tris, I do not understand why this cannot be done as a Non-standard Installation?

I am willing to pay the extra fee's and the Landlord has given me approval to get Optus Cable.

Each room has it's own services billed seperately.

What if the LandLord had pre-wired from the bedroom to the front of the dwelling ready for an Optus box to be connected (next to current box or other side)?

Tris

I really wish we could help you out, it's not possible though. We don't connect cable services to multiple dwelling units either. The only way this could be done is if the connection is shared with your neighbour in the same building on the same bill

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Enis

Is there anyone I can esculate this to as I do not agree, it basically is a SINGLE dwelling with multiple rooms.

Why would Optus say no to a potential customer?

I know this has been done for others in the past.

Tris

I've confirmed this with the serviceability team Enis. We're unable to have multiple connections coming into a single dwelling or multiple dwelling unit. As advised previously the only way you could have a cable service would be to have an extension installed from the cable service that is already active in the property, the same way we would share a connection in a free standing house

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
72 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
27 Kudos