Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor haftwo
New Contributor

Re: CG3000v2 Port Forwarding

Ho Hollie,

It would be very helpful if you could just tell us which ports or blocked. or any other limiting factors.?

It would say a truck load of frustrations. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor onewhite
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I am also in the same boat..  I have been trying to port forward external port 50000 to an internal port on my network and it will not work.

Setting up port forwarding via the web GUI is simple, so I have no issues setting this up.

I am also unable to externally ping my IP address (which is reported through whatismyip.com and also in my router settings page).

I called Optus - they said it's an advanced feature they don't support, so they palmed me off to Netgear who wanted to charge me for support!  What a joke.

Funny thing is that I have had port forwarding working when I first received the router (September 2015) and for the past few months it hasn't worked since.

Optus - what's the deal?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Mitch92
New Contributor

Hi there,

Just wanted to help a few with some info. From the troubleshooting I have done it MAY or MAY Not be an Optus issue but the port forwarding on the router is very limited and doesnt appear to work correctly.

The best thing to do is to test if the port is open or closed. All the other trouble shooting the people are doing is the next step. Ie dont try to do remote desktop through the default port because there are too many things that could fail it, start be testing to see if the port is open. The most useful tools are found by googling "is my port open".

If what Optus reps are saying is that they dont block the ports (which I cant imagine they would), then it is a router issue. I have seen time and time again the gui for the CG3000v2 misrepresenting configuration settings or misbaving.

Your best bet (which is the path I will be venturing down), is using a different router that doesnt have a butchered firmware like the ones supplied by Optus.

Its pretty poor on Optus's behalf to make the supplied / only avaialbe modem router to be this model. I feel port forward isnt to hard of a feature to support and any half decent adsl router has this functionality.

Overall, no impressed with this.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mitch for the reply.

I haven't had any luck at all with this router and honestly I've lost all interest in trying to get it work. 

I need to do some research into alternate cable routers to use that would be better, but am yet to start looking at different models.

Anyone using a different router and if so can you please advise which brand/model and if you are happy with it or not.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
New Contributor dailyn1
New Contributor

I too am outraged by this failure to enable portforwarding. I need to open port 80 so that I can access the Photo app on my Synology Disk Station DS215J NAS drive. All the other apps I use on the DS do actually work, like DS Audio for streaming my music, through port 5000. The Syno box has an EZ-Internet wizard which seems to be able to setup port forwarding successfully for port 5000, but needs port 80 for a couple of the in-built apps. So if the CG3000V2 doesn't allow port80 to open, it's useless as a way to stream my photos outside my LAN. This is just unacceptable OPTUS!!!! Words fail me! Given that the Fetch TV box you issued me also has buggy firmware which doesn't talk properly to my audio system via TV Arc without disabling one of the pins on the HDMI connector (thanks to a forum member for finally alerting us to this solution!!) I am thoroughly disappointed in your service.

0 Kudos
New Contributor David007
New Contributor

Hello Guys,
Yes it  has confirmed that OPtus lock the ports 21 and 80.  I called to the Optus customer overseas service  +610280822642 about the ports 21 and 80 locked. They confirmed me that it is not modem problem. They said that Optus just provide Internet. Ports functionality are not available.
As customer, I believe that Optus does not give a complete information when I bought the Internet service.
I am going to lodge a complain to Optus in the ombudsman commission.

Cheers

RetiredModerator Guy
RetiredModerator

I'm sorry you feel that way David007. We place restrictions on certain ports and deploy specific firmware to these modems in order to maintain security and provide quality of service. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guy,

Why doesn't Optus advertise these restrictions, or provide alternatives for those super users who know what they are doing and need control over ports?  

Cheers.

New Contributor haftwo2016
New Contributor

I've been forwarded ports 162,163 and 164 (and a few others) for security cameras for the last 1year and suddenly they all stopped 2 weeks ago.

Tried everything including router reboot, factory restart, adding new ports on different ranges. etc.

Very frsutrating.

0 Kudos
Contributor WhoIsAtlas
Contributor

If Optus had to list every single restriction in their advertising....there'd be no room for advertising. 

0 Kudos