Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor dsgfh
Occasional Contributor

CG3000v2 Port Forwarding

Hi there,

I've read through the old posts & wondered if there's been any further progress on the firmware for the CG3000v2 so that Port Forwarding actually works?

I've just installed my new CG3000v2 to replace my SURFboard, and after spending a couple of hours trying to set it up had to give up & put it into bridge mode connected to my existing router (which I'd hoped to decommission) to get my setup working as it did before.  It just seems like such a waste of hardware & desk space.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Re: CG3000v2 Port Forwarding

Hi there.
If it's a ISP branded modem/router I always thought they butchered there own firmware, honestly when I was in the ADSL world I never ever had branded modems as they has always be screwy and always will be screwy 😛

I take it using portforward.com doesn't help?
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/CG3000
Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor dsgfh
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it's the Optus issued netgear cable modem.  The problem isn't the guide (that one's the old model with the old firmware, so not applicable here).  I've been through the port forward settings on the router, configured it up, but even mapping to the same external port to an internal port doesn't work.  

Either the firmware is completely broken when it comes to port forwarding (could optus just remove this screen so we don't spend hours trying to get the impossible to work), or there's something else I need to do to enable it to work?

Occasional Contributor hello-w0rld
Occasional Contributor

God, I am glad I am not the only one having issues!

I have spent hours on the phone with Optus Tech support and got nowhere.

I can get some ports to work (443) but not others (80)

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tom
RetiredModerator

Sorry that you're having some probs guys. I can confirm that the modem does have the ability to use the Port Forwarding feature, though this isn't something that's supported by our tech guys as is an advanced feature. 

In case some other settings may have been changed & causing a conflict, perhaps try a factory reset of the modem & see if this will allow your configuration to work correctly? Tom

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor hello-w0rld
Occasional Contributor

Just a final post for future reference.

I lodges a complaint via the TIO, and finally got a Senior Tech to contact me and confirm that dispite everything I had been told by Optus Tech Support, yes Optus block port 80.

Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Thanks for reporting back!
Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor codynguyen
New Contributor

The Optus block port 21,22,23,24,25, 80, 8080 and many ports. They always said that they did not block any port if you call them for the first or second times. Normally, they transfer your call to Netgear technician because the Optus said that Netgear made this modem and any issue comes from modem, the Netgear technician will have to handle. For my case are the same. The Optus told me a lie when I fiirst and second times contaced them. They made me and Netgear technician have spent a lot of time for nothing. Finnally, the Optus technician has confirmed that they block these ports. They suggest that if I want to open port 80 or 8080 I have to upgrade to business plan in order to open these ports.

Other ISP do not block any port like OPTUS.

My suggestion: If you want to open any port on the modem....Please remember DON'T USE OPTUS SERVICES!!!!

New Contributor AndyB
New Contributor

I also have a problem with this particular modem and port forwarding. And my looking at the posts, I might as well just give up I fear.

1st of all, when I set a fixed IP address on a local PC, i.e. 192.168.0.222 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1, I have to det a manual primary and secondary DNS because for some strange reason setting 192.168.0.1 in the primary DNS does not allow internet access.

Trying to setup Remote Desktop (port 3389) to this IP using port forwarding. I do not seem to be able to access the system remotely with the WAN IP address given through www.whatismyipaddress.com

Tried and tried, turned off firewall, disabled anti-virus/internet security software, but no luck.

Should I just give up on this one? does Optus block port 3389? I tried setting up a differnet external TCP/UDP port (3399) to local TCP/UDP 3389 but still no luck.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

I can confirm we don't block those ports AndyB but we also don't support setting up port forwarding. Might be worth chatting with a private IT tech about this if you're still having troubles.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos