cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor ShayneBeaumont
New Contributor

CG3000V2 DNS Option Missing

I see that OPTUS has disabled the DNS settings option  in the GUI of the cable modem CG3000V2, I use OpenDNS to stop my kids from accessing adult sites and for other reasons.

I have read a lot of forums here, with a majority of OPTUS responses being to seek out NETGEAR for a fix.

I work in the technology sector and I have a corporate account with NETGEAR, I have spoken to NETGEAR and their response is "this is a customised version of the NETGEAR product sold by the ISP whose settings, firmware and configurations will differ from the normal NETGEAR product. Please seek out your ISP provider for any issues"

OPTUS is buck passing this issue by sending people to NETGEAR.

I am asking OPTUS to please release a firmware update reinstating the option to change the DNS for this modem, I am not the only person with this request there are many people seeking the same option.

Yes there are ways around this DNS issue by using the modem as a bridge, or the parental control option, or using static IP and DNS on the devices, or purchasing my own modem, but I don’t want multiple boxes in my setup, I dont want to change every device to static and I like having the filtering direct with OpenDNS.

Please change this OPTUS, or provide a valid reason that you do this.

34 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CG3000V2 DNS Option Missing

Hmm I would suggest they don’t want to offer support for the advanced features of the modem. I can understand why they would want to do that however they should at least offer the option of installing stock firmware even if the onus is on those that choose to do so.

New Contributor

UPDATE: I phoned technical support and they have told me to contact a technician (1300657778) to come out and make the changes.

This is after telling me that the device is locked down and they can’t, or maybe won't, change it.

I am going to call the number and see what they say, I still believe they can’t do anything as its firmware related and unless the technician can reflash the device with different firmware I don’t see any other choice.

It’s probably going to cost me a call out fee as well, so it’s probably cost effective to go buy a new modem.

New Contributor

Maybe it’s part of the Government internet filter, they stop you bypassing the filter when you use OpenDNS?

"In June 2011, two Australian ISPs, Telstra and Optus, confirmed they would voluntarily block access to a list of child-abuse websites provided by the Australian Communications and Media Authority and more websites on a list compiled by unnamed international organisations from mid-year"

"In December 2016, the Federal Court of Australia ordered more than fifty ISP's to block 5 sites that infringe on the Copyright Act after rights holders, Roadshow Films, Foxtel, Disney, Paramount, Columbia and the 20th Century Fox files a lawsuit. The sites barred include The Pirate Bay, Torrentz, TorrentHound, IsoHunt and SolarMovie."

Would be great if they could confirm that’s the reason instead of sending me on a fruitless chase.

Reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/australian-senate-passes-controversial-antipira...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I doubt that as I do recall even parental filtering was locked down in the firmware on some models. I would say as I said above that the advanced features of modern devices is well beyond the scope of technical support and locking down the firmware also stops people from stuffing them up.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

If that was the case why do the support team direict users to netgear to change it, would it not

be better to tell users that it's locked to stop incrrect settings?

They also give instructions on how to change it.

clearly they do not know why it's locked, so again I believe there is a reason.

RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Hey ShayneBeaumont, sorry for all the confusion 😞 The DNS settings on the Optus CG3000v2 Cable modem/router cannot be modified. I have passed along your feedback about this. No news about it returning to our custom firmware. Advanced features within the modem are locked down to prevent users modifying them and rendering the service unusable. We also need to install customer firmware on our Cable modems to ensure compatibility with our infrastructure and authentication protocols. 

As you mentioned, there are other ways to use your own DNS servers like bridging the modem to use your own third-party router. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor BobbySs
New Contributor

If I knew this limitation in Optus modem CG3000, I would not join Optus cable. Now I stuck with a 2 year contract. I just don't want to buy another router to overcome this DNS problem.

I wonder Telstra also has such limitation in their cable broadband ??

Contributor Ralph
Contributor

Can we please have an update on this? There is no good reason why the Netgear modem should have been crippled in this way by Optus. Users have a right to privacy and to set their own preferred DNS settings, the same as we were in the past with the older Cisco DPQ3925 cable modem/router.

My faulty Cisco DPQ3925 was recently replaced by Optus by a Netgear CG3000v2. I found I was unable to change the DNS settings to Google/OpenDNS as I was with the Cisco, so clearly the replacement modem is unsuitable.

I still have the Cisco modem, and would be prefer either to have it repaired; or replaced by a used DPQ3925; rather than continue to use the deficient Netgear product.

Please advise ASAP, thanks.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kartika

Hi @Ralph, thanks for reaching out to us as we can understand your concern in regards to the modem settings. You will need to raise this with Tech Support on 131344 (open 24x7) to sort this out.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos