Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor best73
Occasional Contributor

Buying new modem

Hey poeple I need some guidance and recommend buying a new modem sick of the Optus supply dropouts poor Wi-Fi etc I did get a  netgear D6400 home phone won't work. What would be my best option I only use fetch tv Netflix just steam movie no gaming can you please help me thanks 

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Buying new modem

There are several threads at Yes Crowd that will show you some options.

You could simply plug the Netgear into a LAN port of the Optus device, put it into Access Point mode (if it has one), and turn off wireless in the Optus device.

You could further assist us in responding to you by being a little more explanatory - for example: what form of NBN do you have, and what exactly is your major issue ('etc' doesn't help). If you are having dropouts, they will probably continue with whatever device you use.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Any chance you could run some cat5 cable to the devices that need it? Wired always beats wireless.
Or perhaps powerline adapters for $50 would be a better option?

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter thanks for that what is a cat5 cable I have heard of powerline adaptor may I ask where the best place to get everything I don't know alot about internet set up etc
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

A cat5 cable is just a normal network cable like the yellow/red tipped ones that came with the optus modem, although those are cat5e.

Are you plugging in the netgear D6400 into the NBN box or the optus router? If home phone doesn't work it sounds like the optus router is plugged into the D6400 .

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Do I have to get a better quality cat5 or are they all the same in speed and capacity. So the netgear D6400 has fixed all the problems I been having even the picture quality was noticeable also sound quality though my onkyo amp .1st I just conected the netgear to NBN that worked fantastic but no dial tone with home phone. 2nd i did try content to the Optus modem this is how I set it up NBN box to netgear D6400 then to Optus modem plug cat5 cable to lan yellow plug then home to Optus modem phone green plug had dial tone but recive or make calls
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I did contact optus support they said to use a splitter which come with the new netgear modem we don't have a home phone plug in well if the house. Or can you just plug the spiltter into the modern
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Cat5 are rated at 100mbps and cat5e are rated at 1000mbps, so unless you are trying to max out a 100/40 any cat5 will do, and cat5e can already handle max home speeds.

Assuming the dropouts you originally mentioned were just with wifi and not internet through the cable, then the simplest way to get the phone working should be to connect the optus router to the NBN box, and then plug the D6400 WAN port into optus router lan port.

I just read up on the splitter that comes with the D6400. That is a splitter for a normal telephone line and it will not work at all with the NBN.

The reason you have to put the optus router before the D6400 is because by default the D6400 will block phone data (VoIP), so anything behind it that connects to a phone will not work. You can get it to work but it can get complicated.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for time helping and explaining how to set up my NBN just a pretty that optus tech support wasn't very helpful I would say optus is the worst company I ever deal with             thanks once again I go and do my homework you giving me you don't mind if I contact you if I need help with anything else 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You're welcome!

Just post back here on how thing go, and if you are still having problems I, or someone else, will try and help.

0 Kudos