Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor jcsca
New Contributor

Business data only sim static IP

I have two sims on a business plan.  I have applied for and recieved confirmation that static Ip have been applied.

I waas told to ring Tech support for the IP addresses. I have done that. The Ip start with 161. So that is what i needed.

I am using Dlink DWR 921 modems, but cannot get the static IP to appear.

The apn is yesbusinessip, username and password is optus/optus. Mode is auto ( should this be 3G?)

Any other set up advice would be appreciated.

I didnt get a lot of help from Dlink, they just said to reboot/reset etc.

Cheers

JC

16 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Business data only sim static IP

Static IPs are only available on 3g so setting the router to 3g may help - not sure if that apn allows 4g or not (which would cause an issue if it did).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
New Contributor jcsca
New Contributor

Thanks for that info

what apn works for this static ip

cheers jc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Stimpy
Occasional Contributor

I had exactly the same problem

Optus told me i needed a buisness plan and that the static ip would be 3g

I was assigned an IP - but neither my 3g dongle or my 4g dongle(in 3g mode), fully configured will all settings, would not connect to yesbusinessip apn.

I found out that the apn was not enabled for the account...you think they would do that when they assign you the ip... but they dont.

I was transferd from department to department and spent hours on the phone - each time they said it would be fixed within 4hours...

After weeks of doing this I gave up and changed it back to a consumer plan, the customer dept tells you you need a business plan, you get one, then the business dept tells you that you dont need a business plan and transfers you back to the consumer dept... 

The system is foobar - i literally made over 30phone calls - some of them lasting for 2hours - i should send optus a bill for time wasted. This should take 1 phone call - apparently no one knows what they are doing at optus in regards to getting a 3g static ip!

Ask if yesbusinessip is enabled on your account.

Ask when its going to be enabled.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Derek99
Occasional Contributor

and I have exactly the same problem.

Had Optus-branded E3131 working fine on 3G for about 4 years, but it was getting a bit slow. So I upgraded to an Optus-branded E3372. Connects fine to 4G. Speed jump impressive but ... two steps forward, one step back. IP addressing is shot to pieces.

(Unlike some people? the new dongle connects to the mobile network just fine using the pointless APN of 'yesbusinessip'. I just don't get an actual static IP address.)

So I have the choice of choosing between improved speed with degraded functionality and slower speed with current working functionality. Customer dissatisfied.

I assume that there's nothing in the short term that anyone can do about this but based on a number of other posts about the same topic, it is clear that there is a demand for 4G with a static IP address.

I don't speak for anyone else but I would be willing to pay a modest amount more each month to have a static IP address (as I do with A.N.Other ISP).

I understand that IPv4 addresses are basically exhausted - and that is part of the reason for ceasing to offer static IP addresses - but in that case for the love of ghod start supporting IPv6 (as I have with A.N.Other ISP).

In fact the total number of IPv4 addresses in use doesn't change because I am happy to move my IPv4 address from the old 3G dongle to the new dongle. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Derek99
Occasional Contributor

No response having been forthcoming, I have gone back to 3G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Wojtek
New Contributor

Hi,

Just found your post about issue with e3372 and static IP Address.

The issue is that the old style Huawei Sticks like e3131 were sold in a Stick only mode (modem only).

The new e3372h-607 avaialble now in Australia are sold with a HiLink Firmware which prevents exposing Public IP on the Interface.

If you are still interested, I have modified e3372 sticks that work in old style as a modem only and can expose a public IP Address. Just look at my post on ebay search for e3372s. I sell from planet-it-aus business.

Good luck.

Wojtek

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

No... the pulic side of the sticks nat is nated from optus... you cannot use a stick mode stick to get a public IP... i have many of these devices - they still work - but optus assings a 10.x.x.x network ip from their side to the modem if its in stick mode or not....

The only optus APN that supports Public IPs is yesbusinessip on the 3g network.... i tried to get optus to enable this on a business account for me but they would not do it... 

In old days your stick mode stick did indeed get a public ip - sometimes static if you asked for it... now its a natted ip from the AP you connect to... there are no Public IPs for non-business and you gotta jump through hoops to get yesbusinessip APN enabled on your plan...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

No... the pulic side of the sticks nat is nated from optus... you cannot use a stick mode stick to get a public IP... i have many of these devices - they still work - but optus assings a 10.x.x.x network ip from their side to the modem if its in stick mode or not.

The only optus APN that supports Public IPs is yesbusinessip on the 3g network.... i tried to get optus to enable this on a business account for me but they would not do it.

In old days your stick mode stick did indeed get a public ip - sometimes static if you asked for it... now its a natted ip from the AP you connect to... there are no Public IPs for non-business and you gotta jump through hoops to get yesbusinessip APN enabled on your plan...

Highlighted
New Contributor Wojtek
New Contributor

Hi,

I did not personally used mobile data service with a Static WAN IP from Optus. I am not surprised that they did not know how to set it up or what it is....

I look after about about 30 sites using Zettanet (via Optus infrastructure). They offer a static public WAN IP for a good price. It works good for IPSec, and other port forwarding staff...

The only issue is that in order to make full use of Static Public WAN (not natted), you need a Modem in a Stick mode...

Regards

Wojtek

0 Kudos