Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Konsal
New Contributor
New Contributor

Broadband connection

Hi,
I have moved my services from belong to Optus, I have disconnected the belong services in an impression that Optus would connect my services in 3-5 days.
I am totally disappointed by optus as they given me date of appointment with technician on 12/03 and I have purchased the service on 19/02.
Now I don’t have any internet connection and home phone, and they will take another 3 weeks to reconnect my services.
Is there any consumer body which is looking into this telecom issues because we are in 2020 and I don’t understand that why it would take 3 weeks for Optus to reconnect my services.
Are they going to run a new cable for me?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Broadband connection

In this case the reason for the delay is that have had massive delays in getting equipment which affects when installations can be done (see here). They have known about the problem for weeks and they should have informed you, but their communications have been terrible.

The body that handles consumer complaints about Phone/ISP's is the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO).

As for new cable (phone or HFC, depending on your connection type), that is entirely up to the NBN.

0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Broadband connection

@Konsal 

Toll Logistics suffered a cyber attack in late January.
Toll handle the Transport logistics, warehousing  and deliveries for several companies including Optus and are only getting back up to speed in the last few days, so it may take a while for the backlog of modems, phones, sim cards etc to be delivered.

If you were an NBN Belong Customer and moving to Optus NBN they would not be running a new cable.

If you were using a different technology for home phone and internet and the area has gone live on the NBN, Optus maybe waiting for an NBN technician to be available to complete the connection.

I and other people I know who have changed Telco providers have kept the previous service going until the new one is running and then cancelled old service where applicable.    

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos