cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Contributor warwick
Contributor

Re: Broadband cable slow down at night

Thanks Toomey for the prompt respose, and for the contact details.  Apologies for my slow response but it seems I hadn't set up the alerts propely.  I'll make contact wit tech support but only reluctantly because I know what the response will be.  First I'll be asked to disconnetc my wifi and go through a whole procedure because the problem 'might be with my connection'.  If I'm lucky, I'll be told up fron that it is a 'congestion' problem and that 'Optus is working on it'.  If I'm really lucky, I'll get an estimated date when the problem will be solved, that is solved for the time being.  Then you'll fix it, just as you've fixed it every year now for the past umpteen years.  Then, in 12 months time we'll get slow speeds in the peak evening periods again and the process starts all over again.  

This is a chronic problem.  You continue to sell more than you can deliver.  Or, to put it another way, you don't invest in capacity in advance of increases in demand.  When I've made that point previously, I get told that it's hard to forecast demand and it's expensive to over-provide capacity.  Well, yes, I understand that, but cripes isn't that what Optus's business is all about?  Doing what's difficult in order to meet customers' expectations?  

Warwick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor mrklun
Contributor

I understand this is an old thread but has anyone found a solution to this? I'm in Beverly Hills NSW and every night my cable drops to 2-4mbps where as during the day I can reach up to 70-90mbps. I get that there may be congestion in the area and wouldn't mind a drop to about 20-40mbps, but 2-4mbps is ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It's not an unusual experience.  My NBN HFC connection runs through the Wheelers Hill exchange here in Victoria and for quite a while now from the hours of about 6pm to around 11pm my 100down/40up speed pack service turns into a snail pack service because the speed drops as low as 4Mbps down.  Obviously this is evening congestion and this riles me no end because the NBN was meant to have fixed that issue.  I have been told that the congestion issue is down to ISPs not buying enough bandwidth to cover peak usage for subscribers in any given area.  The ISPs buy bandwidth from the NBN.  The NBN now owns ALL the infrastructure.  Because our wonderful federal government has mandated that the NBN must turn a handsome profit they are charging huge amounts for bandwidth.  ISPs are nervous about increasing their prices too much and so they charge lower rates and restrict the bandwidth and don't buy as much as they need.  Hence the slow downs.  It's a mess and I lay the blame for it fairly and squarely on Malcolm Turnbull and the ISPs.

Contributor mrklun
Contributor

In light of this information, I guess theres nothing we can do about it and simply put up with it. (Or move to Telstra).. I always thought Telstra was overpriced, but I am starting to understand why. Basically it all comes down to balancing costs and quality of service. You want more, you pay more. I get it...

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Mate...DON'T give up!  Write a complaint to the Telecommunications Ombudsman here:

https://www.tio.com.au/about-us/contact-us

and they will chase Optus up for you.  You WILL get a reply from the Customer Relations Group (Optus) and they will give you a definitive answer.  They may-

-Give you a discount for your service for the time period you've had terrible speeds

-Chase up a fix for the bandwidth problem if it can be achieved in your area or find out if there is a technical hitch in your area

-If need be release you from your contract so you can try someone else

I complained long and hard and I am now in contact with the CRG.  They are in the process of fixing my problem.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @mrklun, has our Tech Support team confirmed the slow speeds are attributed to peak time congestion? With Cable services there can be HFC signal imbalances which can cause intermittent speed drops and drop outs.

0 Kudos
Contributor mrklun
Contributor

@Hannah-L, thanks for your reply but I haven't escalated the matter any further as I don't feel like being swapped around like a bag of chips between different call centres and operators looking for a solution that doesn't exist. I will however, find my own solution by asking other users in various forums about their experience and who offers the best service in my area. I've worked in the IT industry for many years now and well aware of the technical side of things, so self service is usually the best way to tackle on these issues without getting the run around. ISP's only need to look at a foreign infastructure and implement it here in Australia. Do you think America has any HFC signal imbalances? Look at the size of that country compared to Australia...  

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Buzzy,

Join the ranks of p'd-off NBN customers with Optus!  I feel your pain.  I'm on a 100/40 plan and right now in Glen Waverley Victoria my speed is down to 3Mbps!   I think Glen Waverley and Burwood's net traffic goes through the East Burwood exchange (or, in my case, perhaps Wheelers Hill exchange).

In my case a senior technician has confirmed that the problem is CONGESTION caused by Optus not having enough bandwidth to service all their customers in my area...in other words Optus is still selling their speed packs, etc... in my area knowing, full-well, that they have not got sufficient bandwidth to cope the demand on the network in the evenings.  What's the bet that's happening to you as well!  Mate...start complaining.  Lodge a complaint with the TIO here: https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Optus needs to be made to understand that they cannot continue on selling these packs and thinking people will tolerate the congestion and lump it.  They MUST fix the bandwidth issues.

Top Contributors