Searching...

Broadband cable slow down at night

buzzy

I am a long term optus cable customer and during the day I consistently see 30mbps download speeds.

However in the past few weeks my nighttime (7pm-11pm) speeds have dropped drastically to 3mbps or less.

I am in Burwood Victoria, is there an explanation for the dramatic drop in speed ?

Re: Broadband cable slow down at night

warwick

I'm in Vermont South, close to Burwood, and I'm experiencing the same poor performance.  Answers please Optus, and quickly, or I'll go somewhere else.

Alex_H

Hey @buzzy - sorry to hear you've been having speed issues Smiley Sad Just to clarify, was that speed test result via an Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection? 

I wouldn't be able to check a suburb in general, if you can PM me with your service username/account number I can definitely have a look at your service specifically and see what's going on. 

Highlighted

Tiny41

If you are not in a future Optus NBN HFC node then your congestion will not get fixed. No money will be spent upgrading these non NBN nodes to only shut them down when NBN makes it to your area.

warwick

So Alex I've got the same problem as Buzzy.  What's the problem with speed in the Vermont South area and what is Optus going to do about and when.  This is getting to be an annual experience.  I'm having to tether my Mac to my iPhone and use my Telstra mobile connection to get anything like reasonable speeds.  

Warwick

Shpeshal_Ed

I've been having issues for a year.

Every night as soon as 5pm hits, my Cable slows down to sub 5Mb. In the last month or so it's gone as low as sub 1Mb. Absolute joke that I pay $90 a month for Unlimited and the "Speed pack" when I can barely use the internet at all.

For the last year I've been told upgrades/maintenance have been happening. Which is obviously a lie. I rang last month and got a $25 credit and got told it wouldn't be happening in September and lo and behold, still happening. Gonna call the ombudsman because if it's not going ot get fixed, then I shouldn't have to pay until it does.

Toomey

Hey Warwick, the mods here can only look up outages in a whole suburb and not general service quality. Your best bet would be to chat with Tech Support so they can run proper tests on your service, it sounds like you may be affected by congestion to be honest.

Give them a call on 131344 or via Live Chat here

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Toomey

Sorry Ed, didn't see your comment as I was writing my last one.

A year is a long time to be dealing with these issues, have you spoken to retentions? Obviously we don't want to lose you as a customer but if there is an issue with the line and you deem the service unusable then they may consider an early contract release, give them a call on 1300555241 to check your options. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
wongers

I'm in the exact same boat as you Ed, been with the 90$ unlimited cable plan with the speed pack for 2 years and still having download speeds under 10mbit/s after 5pm -1am which makes videos/online gaming impossible. I've also been told that the 'upgrades' we're suppose to finish last year.                                                                                                  

Shae

Just as Toomey mentioned above wongers, can I ask if you have a fault reference number on this I can take a look into for you?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
78 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
30 Kudos