cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Arrum
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Broadband and NBN

I currently have Optus broadband via Optus cable.  NBN is due soon.  I have no other telephone connection.  Is it correct that NBN can be connected by the OPTUS cable?

Currently downloads speeds are excellent during the day, but very slow at night.  Will they improve under NBN?

If I sign up to a new optus Broadband/telephone plan ($80), will that continue through to NBN?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Broadband and NBN

Hey @Arrum

Hard to find good information, anyway here's some to digest (happy to answer queries).

1) The NBN is a seperate company that now controls all the internet access to most homes in Australia. 

2) You have a NBN LIVE date for your area.

3) 3-6 months after the NBN goes live in your area Optus will just shut down their cable network (soon after it will be dismanteld and junked)

4) The NBN will be using the Telstra cable (which the NBN also now owns) and you will be connected to that cable

5) Unfortunately as the NBN are transfering Optus customers from Optus HFC to Telstra HFC down the track, so it may be another 6 month wait until your house is actually able to connect to the NBN network.

6) Note its not actually 'Telstra' anymore - the NBN own it.

7) While you are waiting for the NBN network to go active, Optus should continue providing the same plan deal that you're currently on.

So short answer to your question is Yes, Optus will offer you a new 24 month contract (much like your current one) that will use the NBN. As far as you're concerned you just deal with Optus and pick your plans.

😎 Performance? Cable is generally as good as anything the NBN are currently selling (The NBN doesn't really advantage cable users but gives cable like performance to the other 75% of the country)

9) NBN Cable does have the advantages of allowing 40Mbps upload and you can also choose any ISP to get your internet now as they all have access to the same NBN cables.

10) Slow peak hour speeds are due to congestion. In Optus case they are a result of Optus selling UNLIMITED plans and not surprisingly the data pipes slow to a crawl when everyone logs in at night.

11) Unfortunately Optus congestion on the NBN is likely to get worse as Optus no longer own the cables (NBN do) and every Mb of data now used costs Optus $$

So in short, you can sign up with Optus anytime you want on a new plan and when the NBN arrives Optus will just port you over. However your peak hour speeds might remain just the same (or worse). 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Arrum
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response.

As I understood NBN will have no advantages for me as a cable user.  NBN due May/June 2018.

My problem is that I do not have a Telstra wire connected to my house.  Disconnected during a renovation a few years ago.

I can see it coiled up on a pole in front of my house.

So can I assume that NBN will connect it to my house and through to where my phone and internet are connected?

I was considering starting a new broadband/telephone contract with Optus to get a Fetch box so that I can record the EPL.  The current streaming service is a total joke.  Does not seem a good idea as Optus cable goes.

Would Optus commit to guaranteeing the connection to the NBN, and at zero cost?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok, so no rush yet. NBN will connect the Telstra cable to the side of your house and then to an outlet inside (it will normally go to your current spot but only if not too hard to do)

Because your Testra HFC cable is not already connected then that means when your suburb goes NBN LIVE in June 2018 you still won't be able to connect. Sometime in the following six months NBN will come back to your street and connect up all unconnected houses in one go. So you can expect to be on the NBN between June 2018 and December 2018. During this time you will remain on the Optus network as usual. 

Being connected to the NBN is done by NBNCo and usually done for free (But sometimes NBNCo might charge up to $300 - unlikely). You can pick any ISP (including Optus) and request the ask NBNCo to connect your house to the new network. That will happen for free on the above schedule. Once connected whenever you're not under contract to an ISP it just takes one phone call and you can migrate to any ISP you want with any deal on offer.

Your simplest solution now is to just tell Optus your staying they will require you sign up on another 24 month contract till Dec 2020). Check the current NBN plans on offer to see what the new contract will look like.

Personally I'd stay month to month if possible (or inyour case only sign up for 12 months) to give yourself maximum options. Could you get the EPL on a $40 Optus mobile plan? If recordings is your thing then it sounds like you might need to join up to a new contract (although its possible they'll just send you out a Mighty and you can add in EPL at a cost).

There's an $80 month to month Optus plan that includes a Mighty and the EPL free for a year. As an existing customer it <appears> Optus are happy to waive the $200 if you ask. Even if not it might be worth paying it to keep your options open. If you're definitely sticking with Optus long term then obviously any plan insn't an issue.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos