Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Davrocks
Occasional Contributor

Broadband Modem Upgrade

Howdy - we are on a $90 broadband plan with 2 mobile phones and have been for quite some time. Now that we have finished extending our house the Netgear modem we have doesn't seem to have coverage to all points. to save me purchasing a booster is it possible to get a modem upgrade or do i need to purchase a new one? My father seems to receive upgrades from Telstra constantly yet I need to put a request in via a forum?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Broadband Modem Upgrade

Its unlikely any modem Optus supplies will improve your wifi range - its essentially a base model. On top of this the current modem has had numerous reports of poor wifi. The new modem does add 5GHz speeds though. 

I'd suggest looking into:

1) A mesh system (Google Wifi?)

2) A booster (Halves bandwidth speed for the increased range)

3) A good router to use just for wifi (Personally I like the Asus A86U)

4) Power over Electricity as sold by Optus

If you want to request a new modem and are a long time customer then you should just call. Its a fair chance they'll send you one (free or very cheaply)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Re: Broadband Modem Upgrade

also consider wiring your new extension with Cat6 ethernet cable, once the area is wired up then use one of the free modem that your dad got from telstra as an access point in the new area. You will get much better speed, reliable and stable connections. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos