cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: Bridging your NBN Modem/Router.

Good news.I sometimes think the internet has a mind of its own.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor aceref1
Occasional Contributor

Why is it that OPTUS continue to supply such substandard equipment (SAGEMCOM Modem Routers) and they consistently refuse to provide the support necessary to rectify their negligence?

I have been told that I must keep their CRAP Modem Router if I wish to keep my telephones running, which to me is UNACCEPTABLE as it forces me to use an unmerchantable OPTUS service.

Then I get told that wi-fi won't work any further than 5-8 metres from their crap modem router.

While I don't accept what OPTUS is telling me as they have a history of being misleading and deceptive, I will, at this stage, retain the crap OPTUS supplied modem router to keep my telephones running.

All I want to do is to bridge the crap OPTUS modem router out, use my own ASUS DSL-AC88U into the system and use that to distribute wi-fi throughout the house.

Can ANYONE help with some advice on how to set this up, please?

I currently have a complaint lodged with the TIO, but still, OPTUS refuse to provide a solution.

I am on the verge of retaining a Networking guru at my cost to get this fixed, but I believe that OPTUS should be paying for this due to their negligence and incompetence.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated, please.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor RobPergo
Occasional Contributor

The only thing that ended up working for me (and trust me, it took me ages to figure out after buying wifi extenders etc.. which did NOT improve the situation), I purchased a Linksys Velop (just one unit) and connected that to the Optus modem. I disabled wifi on the modem (so it's just a dumb router - which it is.. dumb), and use the Velop as the wifi unit.

What I also did was separate, as far as I could, the optus modem from my phone (pretty hard to do when it is plugged into the dumb router) and the Velop. I read on the net that if they are too close (the phone and the router) that this can cause interference and drop outs. So aftert many calls to Optus, having my lines checked, having replacement modems and buying new equipment, I think I've reached a point where my wifi is at least stable (kind of..). Still doesn't change the fact the Optus modem is inferior in relation to wifi capability. 

Hope this helps.

Occasional Contributor aceref1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.

What a pity *Community Guidelines Breach - content removed* OPTUS just can't provide a merchantable service and suitable technical support to fix their incompetence!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Rather than ranting, I suggest you search the forum. You would have found what follows in a few threads.

This should work for all NBN types. Please advise if it does not work for you.

1. First connect the Optus router to the NBN modem and leave connected until everything – particularly VOIP incoming calls – is working correctly.
2. Disconnect Optus router and connect your router to the NBN modem (and ensure it is working correctly).
3. Connect the Optus router's WAN port to a LAN port on your router.
4. Give the Optus router a static IP address in your router (very important).
5. Forward port 5060 in your router to the Optus router's IP address. Connect phone to Optus phone port.
6. Probably wise to disable wireless in the Optus router.

Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Great suggestion, and worked perfectly for me. Only comment would be to also forward 5061 as SIP can also use that, and make sure that both tcp and udp is passed through.

Definitely also a good idea to disable the wifi (to reduce local interference/contention) - although if you do that you'll need to use a wired connection directly attached to the optus modem to update - this is because the fixed ip address you give the modem will be (for it) a wan address so will not be able to be accessed from your local (wired or wireless) network. Not a major issue, just something to be aware of. Could probably setup a rule to enable remote management - maybe I'll try to work that out sometime.... 😉

0 Kudos