Searching...

Re: Bridging the AC800S to a dedicated router

geeforce

how is it running for you now?

Mine still going strong with no issues. I haven't had the issue with hanging pages, so maybe a config setup issue or something

Let me know!

dp3049

Hi exceladdict, I have a Billion 8700 VAX and wanting to use the AC800S. Is your setup still working well? I’ve been using a Huawei dongle, but want to update data download to the 500GB offering and was looking at a modem update as well.

Thanks and regards,

David.

exceladdict

I also updated to 500gb after using 3/4 of the 200gb on software updates!

The system has been stable for a week or so now, those DNS changes seem to have stopped the hanging/timeout issue I had before. 

Consistently speed testing at around 50 Mbps down and 5 up but haven't had a chance to do any scientific testing on positioning the AC800s or locking it to certain 4G bands to improve the speed further. There is a whirlpool thread that goes into this, as well as using cradles and external antennas, in great depth if that interests you.

geeforce

Thanks for the info btw! I also too upgraded my plan to the 500gig

Cheers dude

geeforce

Thanks for the 500gig info, just upgraded lol

Yeah go witht the aircard, a dongle won't give you great results and if it's constantly on will fry itself eventually

Aircard is a perfect choice

dp3049

Thanks exceladdict,

I might just have to bite the bullet and try an AC800S on my 8700VAX, which I think is in the same family of routers as your 8900. Will need to wait til after Christmas now though... hehehe... hohoho.

I'll report back when done in a few days - depending on how long they take to activate the SIM this time of year.

Regards,

Dave.

exceladdict

There was a whirlpool thread that talked about which modems' compatibilities could be interchangeable, which might help as well. 

RussB

I have setup the AC800S in tether mode connected via usb to an Asus DSL-AC56U (got sick of slow ADSL). 

When I remove the battery from the AC800S, the Asus router becomes disconnected from the internet. Has anyone else dealth with this problem?

Thanks.

exceladdict

There are reports on whirlpool of the ac800s being quite power hungry and restarting unpredictably if there is a poor power supply. Is there a reason why you've removed the battery? The AC800s should have smart charging and not overcharge the battery while running on AC, and additionally then the battery would in theory provide a boost if the AC800s needs a power spike for some reason

Also make sure the wifi on the AC800s is off if you're using a secondary router, that should reduce power usage

RussB

Oh ok, thanks for that info. The AC800S keeps telling me that it is already 100% charged so please remove the power cable. Thought it might be an issue.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
48 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos