Searching...

Re: Bridging the AC800S to a dedicated router

hooppjs

Hey Geeforce.

I am thinking about getting the Asus RT-AC58U.  I assume this is still working well with your AC800s?  Do you use the pce AC68 or 88 network card in your pc?  Thats what I am thinking of getting as the price is ok for me.  Dont need the latest and greatest.

Thanks

Pete

geeforce

Hey Pete,

Yes all still working great, no drop outs or anything, very stable.

I am not using wifi for my PC though, I have a lan setup around the house. I just use the wifi for mobiles and the camera system.

Im sure any wireless nic would be fine, so probably go with the cheapest, I think TP-link have some for round 15 bucks.

hooppjs

Thanks for the reply.

So if I get the router Asus RT-AC58U and plug the ac800s into it via usb, can I just connect my pc then with one ethernet cable from one of the routers ports and have a wired setup?  Doing away with the pce card?  

I only use the pc for a game called War Thunder.  I tether the ac800s to pc via usb and have acceptable internet.  I am just wondering if setting it up via the router would be a faster connection. If it works I spose I could then connect my PS3 and blueray player to the router as well, wired?

Sorry for questions, just trying to get my head around it before I spend my coin.

Thankyou

Pete 

geeforce

Hi Pete,

Yes that's the way you do it anyway. Just follow those screenshots I provided and you won't have any issues.

Yeah setting up the router is the way to go. You can use either wired or wifi or a combination of both on the asus router, that's entirely up to you

Do you have a mobile phone with optus? Try a speedtest in your area first, see what speeds and ping you get. If you are happy with that then go for the purchase, as every area is different. I am just lucky in my area I get a great 4g+ service that is way faster then even the max speeds of the current Cable / NBN , so for me personally the switch was definitely worth it as I got slow speeds on cable

geeforce

Sorry realised you probably already know the speeds as you got the air card already!

hooppjs

Hi mate,

Thanks again for your time.  I am in Petersham, Sydney.  Close to optus towers.  I get 4-5 bars all the time on the ac800s.

Yes, I have a mobile phone 4g with optus.  I use that with the laptop for wireless internet.  

I will more than likely get your router, 58U next week for my pc.  From Umart, Mwave or IJK.  It is around the $130 mark which is affordable for me.  Their is also a router AC RT68U but it is another $100 and I am not sure the benifits of it with the ac800s?

The game War Thunder is Russian and they only have 4 servers, closest one Asia.  My ping is always around 200, sometimes better, sometimes worse.  Packet loss can be a nightmare too.  It is playable but anything I can do for better performance will be worth it.  In this game it is a known fact that AU and NZ gamers suffer as we need a server and our requests are currently rejected.

Thanks again for your time and help.  I appreciate it very much.

Kind regards

Pete

FluffyPotato

Thanks GeeForce. Can I ask a few further questions?

I have followed your instructions but the modem isn't being recognised by the router.

Which operation mode is the router meant to be running in?

exceladdict

Chiming in also, has anyone used the AC800S successfully with a Billion modem, such as the 8900AX-2400?

exceladdict

Thought I'd take a risk and try it, and it is working. To make it work, I:

- Factory reset both devices (the AC800S and my Billion BiPac 8900AX-2400)

- Configured DHCP on the 8900AX to start at the 192.168.2.1 range (factory default settings are 192.168.1.1, this conflicts with the AC800s)

- Connected the AC800S to the 8900AX-2400 via USB

- Disabled WiFi on the AC800S

I would get the occasional hang on page loads, but after setting DNS to cloudflare (1.0.0.1 / 1.1.1.1) in the 8900AX's DHCP it seems to have improved, though further testing will be required.

geeforce

Hey there, sorry for delayed response. The asus router should be in router mode. Set the asus IP to 192.168.2.1 because the aircard will be 192.168.1.1 and it will show a warning on the asus with IP address conflict. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
48 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos