Searching...

Bridging the AC800S to a dedicated router

KGatsky

Hi,

I have a perfectly good ADSL modem/router, the TP Link Archer D9. I have to move house, and there is no suitable broadband in the new place, so I am considering an Optus data sim with a 4G modem. The AC800S looks great, but is it possible to put it into 'bridge mode' and use it purely as a modem and the D9 as the router? Could I connect it via the USB port?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: Bridging the AC800S to a dedicated router

Toomey

Sorry no one has been able to get back to you. Bridging modems isn't something we can provide support for, so I wouldn't be able to completely confirm if this will work or not.

Hopefully someone with a similar set up will be able to provide some input.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Pont

Hey, 

The Ac800s doesn't seem to work as a 3g modem, but I haven't confirmed this is true with the new firmware update, released yesterday (this apparently allowed the device to work with a Netgear dock).

Although the AC800s does support teathering  via USB but your router must support NDIS, if it does you should be able to set it up, if not the wifi on the device is pathetic, so it's a real non starter for networking the house.

Pont

This now works as of the firmware update this week, not only can you use NDIS to connect to the router but also it now works as a 4g modem, got it connected to my ASUS router without any issues.

Highlighted

geeforce

I can second this. I signed up for the 200gig double data special with the AC800S for $70 a month

I cancelled my cable inernet because I've been having issues with dropouts and adsl2+ like speeds. Was terrible

I successfully USB tethered the air card to my Asus RT-AC58U. I have to say, very impressed with the performance and results. I get 140-170 down and 33-50 up even in peak times. I wish i changed sooner to be honest! I also grabbed the $60 sim only plan for 100 gig. My data pool is 300 gig so plenty of data to not worry about going over. I have not experienced any drop outs or slow speeds, I've had it running for a month straight now.

Will update in a few months if everything still performing well

NickName2017

how did you do that?

just plug the AC800S into the USB port of the router? what next?

Eric008

Need a tutorial to let the AC800S work as a 4G modem with ADSL router, please!

geeforce

step 1.jpgstep 2.jpg

step 3.jpg

geeforce

From the images above. Click Usb application > 3g/4g then follow the rest of the screenshots

On your AC800S make sure it is set to tether mode and turn wifi off. Can do all that from the device itself since it's touch screen

I'm assuming you have an Asus router. Not sure about other routers 

geeforce

I only know about Asus since that's what im using, is your router asus?

Follow the above screenshots if so. If you can't see 3g/4g section and you have the latest firmware then your router probably doesn't have that function

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
74 Kudos
50 Kudos
45 Kudos
30 Kudos
16 Kudos