Searching...

Bridging for PC

Activist

Hi, I am using Optus LAN Cable in a Townhouse. NetGear CM500v is connected on the ground floor with Sagemcom 3864v3. Now the problem is that my PC is on upper level and obviously can't get ethernet to that location.

I tested connecting ethernet with my laptop and getting speeds upto 90Mbps but on same laptop with WiFi I am getting upto 65Mbps. The Sagemcom modem is supporting upto 802.11n standard on 2.4GHz and I can't change it to 5GHz as it is not available in this modem.

I need some solution like bridging to get similar speed as ethernet on my upper level where the PC is. What router/modems should I get and what WiFi device should I get for the PC?

Thanking in advance

Highlighted

Re: Bridging for PC

Davelew

Hi

I have recently migrated to the NBN and have always had a netgear router connected to my Optus modem as I need to be able to change the DNS addresses and add static routes.   This has worked well with the exception of some of upstairs rooms were not getting good wifi recption so I decided to splash out and purchased a Netgear Orbi RBK20 mesh router.

Attached the Orbi to my Optus Sagemcom modem and placed the Orbi satellite in an upstairs bedroom.   Test speeds on the Orbi show only a small difference between the connected router and the satellite, so could be a solution for you.

As for the setup I connected the sagemcom to the orbi as instructed and let the Orbi app on my phone do the changes needed to the settings, really simple and easy.

Worth doing a little research as to where to buy but are easily available for around the $300 mark and if you want extra perfomance you can spend a little more.

Have a look at the Google WiFi hub as well, I have no experience but @petergdownload uses these routers and I am sure would be happy to give you feedback on these.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Activist

Hi Dave, thanks for the response. Is there any solution with 802.11ac capable modem/router and a good USB WiFi for my PC? I hear that 802.11ac has almost same performance as ethernet.

Davelew

I have no experience but Peter who I tagged before may well be able to give you some advice.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Hi @Activist,

Your post raises a few thoughts:

1) The Optus default modem is a AC wifi model. YOu could contact them and request they send out the upgraded one.

2) AFAIK Wireless is not intended to be as fast as ethernet. The speeds you are getting seem pretty good?

3) Have you tried some power line adapters

4) Why can't you get ethernet to the top level? Either up an outside wall or through the internal walls etc. Just drop a CAT 6 cable down between the rooms. 30m CAT6 costs $20 or so.

5) When does the NBN arrive in your area? A chance to relocate the modem point?

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
97 Kudos
89 Kudos
45 Kudos
35 Kudos
30 Kudos