Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Best way to resolve slow Cable speeds?

I'm guessing a lot of others have the same problem... Cable speeds slow to a crawl at night from about 6pm to 9pm. Been like this for months. I'm in Brisbane QLD on the 100Mbps speed boost plan. My TV aerial no longer works so my only choice is to stream via a Fetch TV box but at these speeds it's pretty pixelated and frustrating to say the least.

What's the best way to get this raise a complaint that actually has a chance of getting it resolved? In other words, has anyone been able to complain to Optus and have something actually done about it?

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.14.27 pm.jpg

Tags (3)
14 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Best way to resolve slow Cable speeds?

Patience?

Long enjoyed Optus cable, but lately its the same story. 9:30pm on a Wednesday and (multiple) speed checks shows 2Mbps download speed. It will be back up to 90Mbps tommorow morning as usual (and paid for).

Note this is non NBN (I understand why the congestion occurs in NBN). I can only assume that maitenance and focus on soon to be junked cable has slowed to almost nothing (my suburb gets the NBN in 2 months).  

It is a time of change. Old tech is being torn down and new tech bough online. IMO complaints will likely bring no improvement in your speeds (its not like they can specially send you more bandwidth). You may be offered to leave your contract without penalty.

I wish I could offer more.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Holtmeister...Peter is correct.  Things are in flux at the moment and Optus is not spending a cent on its old HFC cable structure as it's going to be toast as soon as the NBN goes through in your area (they will likely use Telstra's cable network which is newer).  Now I hate to tell you this but I am on the Fusion 100/40 plan with Optus HFC NBN.  For the last month now my evening "peak" speeds here in metropolitan Melbourne from 7pm to around 11pm have dropped as low as two Mbps.  That's right...you read it right...two!  With the NBN comes a whole new set of problems revolving around insufficient bandwidth purchases by the company, problems hybridising the old cable system to the new NBN network...etc...etc...  You just have to sit tight and see if things pick up when you go onto the NBN.  Sorry I can't help you more than that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Holtmeister

Just to be clear are you on Optus Cable or Optus NBN Cable? Are you on a contract? What suburb are you in (Brisbane central?)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Doesn't sound hopeful does it!

Peter I'm on Optus Cable. I'm in Cannon Hill and NBN isn't planned here for a long time. Unfortunately there is no Telstra cable.

I really need a fast connection for work (particularly upload speed as I send a lot of large files). I've been looking at 4G but not sure?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You might be a bit stuck.

4G is an option but its a bit pricy and I believe 150Gb a month is your limit. Your speeds depend on if you are in a 2300 spectrum area (12 Mbps download - Optus speed limit it)  otherwise it will be 5Mbps. Mobile uploads are capped at 1Mbps unfortunately.

Your issue does sound a lot like congestion, but Optus cable shouldn't be as suseptible to that this far out from the NBN arriving in your area. I would recommend trying to get a tech involved in your area and get it assessed. You can generate the speedtests (try also googles one - just google speedtest) and get a record of the wax and wane of speed through a typical day.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Upload speeds of Optus Cable are all capped at 1.5 Mbps - you will only get an increase option when the NBN arrives.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter I'll give that a go!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi all. Any recommendations around how to escalate this type of problem with Optus ? I have the same problem with optus cable in sydney but I can't get anyone to take the problem seriously. Cant even get a call back from a local manager. Just told "it's being worked on". 

Any suggestions ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Write. Its still the most powerful and legally binding form of communication.

Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306
SALISBURY SOUTH
SA 5106

Be sure to include your Full Name, Service or Account Number so we can help resolve your enquiry

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Seriously ? In 2017 I need to write a letter to get basic service? 

0 Kudos