Searching...
Highlighted

Bandwidth concerns Altona North HFC

[ Edited ]
dcarrion87

This concerns bandwidth capacity issues in Altona North during evening periods on the HFC network.

Bandwidth available during evening hours has been getting worse over the last couples years. In the following images you can see that speeds drop down to < 5Mbps during certain times.

Here is a snapshot over a week:

week.png

Here is a snapshots over couple days:

day2.png

day.png

Optus, please advise what you're going to be doing about this.

Re: Bandwidth concerns Altona North HFC

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I suspect the issue may be too many people running speed tests at the same time Smiley Indifferent

Seriously though, that's a bad pattern to look at. You guys are obviously still on the old Optus cable (FTTC in 2019 apparently though so that's something to look forward to). Traditionally Optus HFC has had bandwidth to spare but its possible with recent usage changes Altona is now got too many people trying to suck down too much data. 

The NBN rollout doesn't affect Optus HFC (as the NBN aren't using it at all) but its possible Optus are not putting as much effort or money into maintaining the HFC cable (as its due to be junked in two years time). Couple this with Optus continuing to offer cheap ($80) unlimited data plans that are also heavily coupled with streaming devices and services and it looks like even the old HFC cable speeds are going to have major congestion issues.

I'm not sure if Optus can fix your area issues as that would require ending the unlimited contracts that everyone is on for 24 months (that or investing heavilty in new infrastructure that will only be used for 12 months). Sorry. Once the NBN rolls in you will at least have the option of picking any RSP you like. If Optus are still offering unlimited plans then I'd be looking elsewhere.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS You can log a complaint with Optus and get someone to look at your line, but as you're getting 30Mbps in offpeak it would seem to be working ok (technically speaking). 

dcarrion87

Hey Peter

Appreciate the input and I suspect you’re right. There is no incentive for Optus to improve their existing HFC network, particularly in areas that are scheduled for FTTC.

I’m thinking about raising a case but suspect I’ll get a bunch of robots running me through the motions before I actually get to someone that produces a vanilla answer.

In the meantime I’m looking into Uniti Wireless, mainly for the improved upload rates I need for the work I do. There’s a planned tower going up within months in our area and they’ve been super responsive in keeping me posted on status. I suspect Optus HFC network is just going to get worse over the next couple years with redevelopment and don’t trust NBN Co in delivering by 2019.

Would be good to get a response from Optus on this thread but I don’t like my chances...

Daniel

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Good luck. I suppose even if the issue is fixed by Optus you're still suck with 1.5 Mbps upload speed. 10Mbps is usable (hopefully its speeds match expectations) The 30 day no obligation trial sounds good (some other threads wishing Optus provided a similar simple cooling off period - although i suppose you'd only do that if you were confident in the service you would be supplying.)

Be interesting to see ow the wireless broadband model develops. The maths must be pretty straight forward as whatever spectrum they have purchased will have an upper limit on throughput. Will all depend on if they can stop themselves adding too many customers.

FWIW IMO the 12 month plan looks like the best compromise between value and flexibility. interesting that there plans all allude to speed (Chetah!) but the only difference appears to be data limits.

Regards

Peter Gilllespie

dcarrion87

8PM and I've hit an all time low of 0.91Mbps with absolutely no other traffic passing through my router. Latency is through the roof and I've been forced to switch over to my Telstra mobile data in order to keep a stable connection for work.

I honestly feel sorry for anyone that is just starting on a new contract with Optus on their HFC network in this area. They're going to be immensely dissapointed...

Shauna

Hey @dcarrion87 - Have you spoken with our faults department recently? Sounds like congestion from my end, however we would like to take a further look.

Can you please send me your details via private message?

Apologies for the experience. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

dcarrion87

Hi Shauna

As requested in private message below speed tests.

Capture.PNG

Regards

Daniel

[ Edited ]
AlexRH

Thanks for posting this, Daniel. 

For privacy reasons, please PM me so we can assess your current options around this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
dcarrion87

I have already spoken to someone at Optus and the only option given was to exit contract as Optus has no intention of upgrading infrastructure servicing my area.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

There's not much else Optus can do really. The issue is pretty simple in maths terms:

The Optus HFC network can only provide a set amount of throughput.

This works fine off peak

Optus have oversubscribed user numbers in the area

Optus emphasis on easy streaming (EPL, Netflix, Fetch) has exacerbated the issue.

Everyone is on an unlimited plan

Optus only option during peak hour is just keep turning down everyones speed (to almost nothing)

The conspiracy theorist in me wonder if Optus Management decided to deliberately take this approach. Previously user numbers and pricing and plans worked very well providing excellent speeds over HFC. Suddenly the NBN is on the horizon and Optus have sold their breaking down HFC network. Was a decision taken to just keep throwing new users onto the system regardless of the consequences? Blame the NBn in the transition? Knowing that most people had no better option than even poorly performing cable? That most people would probably just suffer through until the NBN finaly arrived (and Optus could aggressively shunt disgruntled users across?).

The only flaw in the plan would seem to be that Optus NBN customers possibly face even worse congestion issues. Perhaps now Optus is just looking to shed higher volume users until the peak hour bandwidth stabalises

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
48 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos