Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ask a Question
Marley16
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Bad connection please help.

Hi! 

Ive been having issues with my netgear cg3000 voice gateway wifi broadband connection for about a month. The upload speed is horrible, despite Optus telling me everything is fine. The wifi constantly disconnects and I am constantly restarting and and contacting Optus for help to no avail. I've contacted over 7 times. I haven't had an issue with it before and it started on my pc when I was playing online games such as league of legends and using voice call on discord. That happened for about a week and then it started to stop working amongst all devices, iPhones, iPads, Samsung phones etc. 

I've constantly restarted my modem, changed channels ect. Nothing is working. I'm now getting pings on games at around 1000ms. 

Im starting to feel unbothered to call Optus again because they tell me everything is fine and don't fix anything.

I've upgraded my unlimited plan because apparently t was still on the old version, yet doing that had done nothing.

please help me yes crowd community ๐Ÿ˜ž

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Bad connection please help.

I take it you're not on the NBN yet? When is it due to arrive in your area?

What do you mean by horrible upload speeds? Optus Cable is limited to around 1 Mbps upload.

Are you testing on a wired connection to the modem.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Marley16
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN is in my area but narrowly missed my street.

Upload speed is average 0.53 and it should be around 1mbps.

Wired connection won't help as it's across all my devices mobile too. And I never had an issue with it before. 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Same here. Brunswick was the first suburb to get fibre 4 years ago (not my quadrant). Then the first in phase 2 (One street over). Then fibre got cancelled. Now waiting till Christmas.

.53 MBps is within spec unfortunately. Upload over ADSL or cable is never meant to be much. 

You need to test on a single wired box to rule out any issues with wifi connections. Turn off all wifi and test on that box. If the speeds are still low then you know that's where the issue is.

You may have some device trying to sync with the cloud (apple? dropbox? Windows?)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

>>Ive been having issues with my netgear cg3000 voice gateway wifi broadband connection for about a month. 

Sounds like your cg3000 thing is broken, or at least the wifi component. You have to try connecting to it with ethernet. If you are dead set on not buying a bew one, you need to cascade another router off it, to do the wifi.

Marley16
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately the only device I can connect a cable to won't be able to reach ๐Ÿ˜ž 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not sure I understand? Reach the modem?

It may be in testing you'll need to move stuff around - a major pain but can be necessary.

@10000000000GB suggestion that the wifi of the CG3000 might be playing up is possible.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Marley16
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

As in the cable for the Ethernet cord is not able to reach the device as the device is too far away (the modem being situated downstairs whereas the device my pc being upstairs). ๐Ÿ™‚ 

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You probably shouldnt be playing games on wifi. But since your other devices stopped working later, it sounds like the wifi part of the CG is dying, or the PC wifi card could be causing interference. You really need to move the PC next to the router to find out.

0 Kudos
Marley16
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I use a wifi USB adapter, I don't have a wifi card I believe and I've never had an issue with it before ๐Ÿ˜•

0 Kudos
Top Contributors