Searching...
Highlighted

BYO Router with Optus NBN VoIP

Tigeroo

These following instructions were posted by Matts on 06 Jan 2016 regarding the use of a BYO Router for Internet connection and the Optus modem (Sagemcom F@st 3864 modem/router) as NBN VoIP. I followed them them through exactly and my Internet is working well (with my BYO router). However, the phone is not working. I can still hear the dial tone when I pick it up but I cannot make a call or receive a call. Could you please tell me what should have gone wrong?

BYO Router With Optus VoIP:
How To - The Simple Way

N.B.: This wiki assumes you have an existing, functioning Sagemcom F@st 3864 modem/router (i.e., the "Optus router") currently plugged into the NBN Network Termination Device (NTD - i.e., "the Box"), and that your BYO router is set to its factory default settings.

1. Power down both the Optus router and your BYO router (using the on/off switch button if there is one available);

2. Unplug the Optus router from the NBN Box and then plug it into a LAN port on the BYO router (preferably LAN Port 1) - leave the phone line connected to the Optus router;

3. Plug the BYO Router WAN (the Internet) port into the NBN Box to Uni-D Port 1 (or using the Uni-D Port Number that Optus specified in your Welcome Letter) - if done correctly, your Internet connection will be from the NBN Box Uni-D Port to the BYO router Internet port, then from the BYO router LAN port to the Optus router Internet port - the phone line is still connected to the Optus router;
  4. Power on the BYO router and wait for it to fully reboot;

5. Power on Optus router - you should then have a fully functional BYO router connected directly to the NBN and a fully functional OPTUS VoIP phone. 

Re: BYO Router with Optus NBN VoIP

newline

Firstly, thanks for your post as I have asked elsewhere if it works. It may not work.

The following does work:

1. First connect the Optus router to the NBN modem and leave connected until everything – particularly VOIP incoming calls – is working correctly.
2. Disconnect Optus router and connect your router to the NBN modem (and ensure it is working correctly).
3. Connect the Optus router's WAN port to a LAN port on your router.
4. Give the Optus router a static IP address in your router (very important).
5. Forward port 5060 in your router to the Optus router's IP address. Connect phone to Optus phone port.
6. Probably wise to disable wireless in the Optus router.

Tigeroo

Hi

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, I am really a novice about these technical things. As such, I cannot figure out what to do with Point. 4 & Point 5.

I have successfully logged in to both my BYO router and Optus modem, but was stuck in finding the Static IP Address or the Forward Port 5060, as suggested. 

Would you be able to give me a little more guidance on these? (please treat me as an elementary pupil on this subject).

Thanks in advance

newline

What make and model is your BYO router?

Tigeroo

Hi,

My BYO router is a Dlink, Model DSL-4320L

My Optus modem is a very standard one that is provided by Optus.

Please show me how to configure them.

newline

Thanks. Please confirm that you are FTTN NBN.

Tigeroo

No, my service is FTTC NBN (I think it stands for Fibre to the Curb) (if I am not wrong)

newline

OK. Your 'modem' is being used as a router because the NBN provides a modem for FTTC.

First. Did you first connect the Optus device to the NBN modem and could you receive calls using it? If not, you need to do so and, if you still cannot receive calls, you need to contact Optus until you can receive calls with their device. Only then can you proceed to use the D-Link.

Second. Is the D-Link's ethernet port 4 connected to the NBN modem?

After the above, all you should need to do is on page 107 of the user manual for the D-Link http://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-4320L/Manuals/DSL-4320L_A1_Manual_v1.00(DI).pdf

jeffparker

Will this work with a HFC connection? 

newline

Others have reported that it definitely does work for NBN HFC. Please post if you have issues.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
72 Kudos
50 Kudos
40 Kudos
30 Kudos
16 Kudos