Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Matte_Hatt
New Contributor
New Contributor

BYO 4G Modems supported ?

What BYO 4G Modems (make & model) are supported by Optus ?

I’m looking to purchase one outright and get either a prepaid data only SIM or a no contract data only SIM plan.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
George_YC

Re: BYO 4G Modems supported ?

Hey @Matte_Hatt,

The Optus 4G Plus network uses LTE 700 / 1800 / 2100 / 2300 / 2600 MHz frequencies. So as long as your device has those bands, it should work.

Optus supported modems, it can be found on our Device Guides page.

We also have a Device Compatibility for Optus 4G Plus support page where you can read more info on this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@George_YCJust checking for future reference/usage, so I now can use non Optus branded modem with the two plans on the following page:

https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/4g-home-internet/huawei/b818

In the past the plans were only able to be used with an Optus branded 4G modem listed as per the link in your post.

Thanks.

Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

4g Home internet is STILL locked to specific devices.

Mobile Broadband plans are not locked to specific devices.
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Logged-Off110% agree as this is my understanding, but @George_YC 's response is not clear. 

I was asking for @George_YC  as he is an Optus representative if anything has changed or not.

Modems die or become obsolete every few years and when mine karks it or thee is a better one I would like to get a better/newer modem (not part of this this thread BTW) that will work with the plans.

0 Kudos
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

CIS document that outlines the plan still states that:

This plan can only be used with the Optus-supplied modem.

(This condition has not changed in the ~5 years this line of plans has been out)
Matte_Hatt
New Contributor
New Contributor

So, the 4G / WiFi modem I’m looking at specifically is this one:

https://www.netgear.com.au/images/datasheet/orbi/LBR20.pdf

It (apparently) supports Band 28, 700 MHz LTE-FDD, which is what I’ll need.

To those in the know, will this work on an Optus prepaid or non contract data plan ?

I’m just not interested in the Huawei or other options from the Optus store - because reasons. The Netgear modem offered on there does not support the above band so not an option.
0 Kudos
George_YC

@AndS I was responding to the post in regard to Prepaid Mobile Broadband or a SIM Only Mobile Broadband, apologies for any confusion. Supported devices on our Wireless Broadband plans can be found on the  Optus Wireless Broadband eligible device list post on Yes Crowd.

@Matte_Hatt as long as it uses our frequencies it should work, you may just need to adjust the settings to the use the correct APN. You can find more info on this on our APNs & technical settings for Mobile Broadband & Home Wireless Broadband support page.

In terms of support from us on these third party devices, it is limited. As we can only provide full support on devices from our Device Guides page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AnthonySwan
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi there

i have an orbi lbr20 - were you able to connect the Optus network to the lbr20?

0 Kudos
Matte_Hatt
New Contributor
New Contributor

Anthony,

After I overcame the price chock of that modem, I ordered a D-Link DWR956 on eBay. Once it arrived, I took the easy option and shoved in a prepaid Optus SIM - it worked without any issues !?!? So I registered it and paid a small prepaid fee. Still works and I’ve converted the SIM to a post paid.
0 Kudos