cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor StueyInDeep
New Contributor

Awful speeds - 0.7M down!

I am pulling my hair out here. We have had 0.7MB download speeds for the last few months and it is just ridiculous.

I've called Tech support a number of times and just get told 'there's a fault on the network, everyone in your area has this problem, they don't know what it is, could take a few days to fix, could take a few months'

Got the whole Entertainment package but none of it is working on such dire download speeds.

I'm in Edithvale in SE Melbourne. 

I think that the only thing to do is to cancel the subscription? Can anyone offer any other advice before I pull the plug.

(Yes, I've rebooted my router. :-| )

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Re: Awful speeds - 0.7M down!

Another member mentioned that disable the wifi helped them to increase the speed 10-15X.

check it out

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/SOLVED-Slow-Optus-Cable-Internet-download-speed...

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If its constant bad speeds then that would sem to be some tech issue (i.e. not peak hour congestion)

If it is a tech issue then another NBN provider is unlikely to fix the problem. 

Perhaps knock on a neighbour or twos door and ask if they are having the same issue (with a different RSP)?

You can also call NBNCo direct and ask them if they have an issue registered for your area/address.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I have the provided Netgear router set to bridge mode  and plugged into a nother unit for routing so I don't know if the Wi-Fi is active. 

I'd have to reset it to get back into it I think but that might not be a bad thing.. Could check for new firmware whilst I'm at it..

Thanks will let you know.

Stu

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks Peter.

So it's cable bit nbn, that won't be in this area till 2019 according to the website.

I did read that nbnco is now managing the cable network but wasn't sure if it was internet nonsense. Should I call them??

Definately not peak  hour issues; I look back on them with fondness now.

I will try the neighbors tho. Might start stealing their Wi-Fi if they're not experiencing the same. Smiley Wink

Good idea. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe NBNCo owns the cables now, but Telstra and Optus are still responsible for  maintaining them at the moment. NBNCo is gradually taking over the Telstra cable as it rolls out (The Optus one will be junked)

I thought you were on the NBN for some reason - I don't think there's much point in calling them if not.

Possibly put in a request with the TIO who might be able to get a better answer from Optus than, "its broke and we don't know when it will be fixed"

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor

Thanks again Peter.

Will give optus one last call and then start a complaint with the TIO.

Wish me luck.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor SighOptus
Occasional Contributor

Having the same trouble in ballarat, poor speeds for the last month

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor SighOptus
Occasional Contributor

So your solution is its telstras fault not ours?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors